I have a confession to make, I kind of love cleaning. Whether it's a therapeutic vacuum session or a deep clean of the kitchen, sometimes, a girl (or guy) just likes to start fresh. While I may love a good scrub, that doesn't mean I don't like to make it easier on myself, which is why I set out to find the best cleaning hacks on the web for the three most important rooms in the house: the kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom! Scroll down to see the ultimate list of cleaning hacks.
1. Got a spare lemon laying around? Who doesn't! Whether you're cleaning a cutting board, a marble countertop or the sink, simply put a little salt on a halved lemon and start scrubbing. You'll immediately see a brighter, buffed surface (and it'll smell great, also).
2. Wondering how to clean your dishwasher (yes, it needs cleaned, too)? Place a cup of vinegar in a dishwasher-safe bowl on the top rack and sprinkle a little baking soda on the bottom. Run on normal cycle and there you have it: a refreshed dishwasher!
3. A dirty kitchen sponge is filled with dangerous bacteria, which is why it's key to sanitize or toss sponges often. To sanitize your sponge, place it in the microwave for 2-minutes. That's it!
1. Always wondered how to easily put your comforter in your duvet? Well it's easier than you think! Start by turning your duvet cover inside out and laying it flat on the bed, with the opening at the foot of the bed. Lay your comforter or blanket on top and try rolling it up like a burrito. Voila!
2. Is your mattress in need of a quick clean? Place 1 cup of baking soda into a small jar with a few drops of your favorite essential oil, shake it up and then using a sifter, lightly dust your bed with the mixture. After an hour, use the hose end of your vacuum to clean up for a fresh smelling mattress!
3. When cleaning the bedroom, always make your bed first. This not only gives you space to fold laundry, sort through clutter and so on, but it gives you a much need starting off point (for that mental hurdle it takes to start cleaning).
1. Soap scum is hard to get rid of, but if you’ve got some extra cooking spray laying around, it’s not as hard as you think! Spray shower doors and walls with cooking spray and let sit for 5-10 minutes to let the oil cut through the scum and lime deposits. Rinse with soapy water.
2. Scrubbing the toilet is my least favorite job, but this trick means I'll never have to do it again! Dropping a denture tablet into the toilet bowl and letting it sit overnight will leave you with a sparkling, clean commode.
3. Do you have a smelly trash can? Place a dryer sheet in the bottom of your trash for instant freshness.