1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
6 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I love to use gala, empire or any combination of what's best locally)
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (will depend on the sweetness of your apples)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of kosher salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup corn starch
3 egg yolks
Splash of water
*Sanding sugar or sugar in the raw to finish
1. Combine flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir to combine.
2. Add in cold butter cubes. Using a pastry cutter, or your fingers, work the butter and flour together until the mixture resembles course sand. It's important to not let the butter get too warm or too soft. You want to work quickly, but delicately.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, and pour in 1/2 of the water and all of the apple cider vinegar. Fold mixture together using your hands. If the dough feels too dry, add water a tablespoon at a time until it comes together.
4. Shape dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill for at least an hour.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. Roll dough out to about 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thick on a surface lightly dusted with flour. Cut dough into leaf shapes and move leaves to a parchment-lined sheet pan.
7. To make filling, combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
8. To make egg wash, whisk yolks together and add just enough water to thin.
9. Assemble pies: Spoon apple mixture into center of pie dough leaf. Brush edges of leaf with egg wash and sandwich another leaf on top, pressing edges together. Brush the top with egg wash and dust with sanding sugar or sugar in the raw to add some sparkle.
10. Bake for 25 minutes, or until GBD (golden brown delicious)
Photography: Mark Davidson / Pastry Chef : Wild Orchid Bakery