Certain people come into your life and because of their presence alone, you don't have to worry about forgetting them anytime soon. And lucky for me, I'm exposed to that sort of amazingness every day with all the talented photographers that grace the pages of SMP. And one of those standout stars is Nicholas Purcell. Based in Australia but able to travel all over, his calming, elegant photos speak wonders. Learn a little more about him below and see why he'll be fresh on my mind for quite some time.
1. How did you get into wedding photography?
I moved from Melbourne, a large Australian city, to a more modestly proportioned one, Adelaide, and the commercial photography market I had been working in was significantly smaller. I quickly found this world of weddings and haven't looked back.
2. What's your personal motto, or a phrase that inspires you creatively?
Never, ever give up.
3. Can you describe your aesthetic in three words?
Quiet, calm, searching.
4. What are three things you can't live without?
My family. Coffee. Travel.
5. Where do you find inspiration?
Art galleries when I'm travelling without the kids and actually have time to really look.
6. What's your favorite social media platform?
7. What is a photography detail that often gets overlooked, that you wish got more attention in the planning process?
Food! We must eat or you're not going to get good photos!
8. What do you think is the most important question a client can ask, when deciding who to hire for their wedding or elopement photographer?
Why do you photograph weddings? That will tell you everything you need to know.