Do-It-Yourself Wedding Projects
December 27, 2007
DIY Inspired
These drop dead gorgeous wedding invitations were created totally custom to reflected the couple's style and the feel of the wedding (which is actually just a few days after New Year’s!)...


To Make These Invitations...

Supplies bought at Archiver’s, The Photo Memory Store, Donahue Paper Emporium, Michael's

Supplies Used:
Curious Metallic Paper in Galvanized
Neenah Paper in Red Linen, White Linen, Black Linen
Wonder Tape
Tombo Mono Adhesive
Epson Stylus Photo 1400
Fiskars Paper Trimmer
Marvy Circle Punch
EK Success Circle Cutter
Fonts: Goudy Old Style and Porcelain

Choose a size that is cost effective and will allow you to get the most cuts out of a sheet of paper without a lot of paper waste.

Print the pieces of the invitations at home on a nice color printer which will allow you to add color to the invitations without having to pay a lot for color prints from a professional printer.

Take stacks of paper to a place like Kinko’s or Office Depot that can cut through a whole stack of paper at once.

My invites were made by using two sheets of red paper per invitation. One sheet was scored like a gatefold. The other was scored in half with a triangle cut out from one side. This piece was then glued to the right side flap of the first piece to create a pocket.

I designed the pieces in the pocket so the were each 1/2 inch wider so they would stack and the titles on each card could be read.

I created a band with a circle that had the wedding date on it which slid over the invitation to keep it shut and flat.


I'm not sure that I have seen anything quite this cute in a long time...this DIY Cake Topper was created by the groom, inspired by the couple themselves...the first pictures shows the couple so that you can see the likeness in the cartoon cake topper...


Instructions on Making the Cake Topper...

This cake topper is based on a sketch my husband does of us when we sign christmas cards, or send out notes to people. All of our friends and family know of the sketch, and so we thought it would be a lot of fun to transform it into a "3-D" version!

The materials used were polymer clay (sculpey & fimo brand), a wood base, wooden skewers, and a miniature veil. Everything was purchased at a local craft store, with the exception of the skewers which we had in the kitchen drawer. The veil was a scrapbooking accessory that happen to be sized perfectly for my miniature self.

My husband modeled each figure by hand in seperate pieces... head, bouquet, body, etc... and then used a wooden skewer to hold us together. The assembled brid and groom were baked in our home oven according to the directions on the clay package. We then used tacky glue to secure them to the wooden base.

I would suggest to anyone that models their own topper to start early! We procrastinated big time, and it was a bit stressful for us the weeks before the wedding. Also, communicate with your bakery before you start. You will want the topper to fit on the top tier of your cake! Our's didn't, oops. You should also inform them that the topper is much heavier than a standard topper so they can prepare the cake structurally!


These Origami Bouquets and Boutonnieres are so insanely creative, I am 100% convinced that the bride should be doing this professionally. I wouldn't have thought to extend the origami into the bouquets, but she has pulled it off so beautifully, you don't even miss the real flowers!


To Make the Origami Bouquets...

To make each bridesmaid bouquet, I made 6 origami lilies in 3 different shades of 150mm blue origami paper. I made 3 buds, and 14 leaves using instructions from a book of origami flowers. I also made 7 "bead sticks" per bouquet which were pieces of silver wire, threaded with beads in different shades of blue, clear and white. I attached each flower and bud, along with their leaves to a green floral wire stem with craft glue and brown floral tape.

I held the bouquet in front of a mirror to arrange the flowers, and then wrapped the entire arrangement in wire which was then covered with glue to hold them in place. The glue and wire were covered with bows of brown and blue ribbon which hung down.

More to come later today!