A beautiful brunch is my favorite part of Christmas day. After the presents have been opened and the coffee has been made, there’s nothing better than sharing a scrumptious meal with the ones you love. And while you may feel at a loss for what to whip up on this oh-so-special occasion, fear not loves! Because Katie Parra and Megan Doherty are here to share their how-to for the perfect holiday crepe cake. Yep, you can thank them later!
1 Hour/s 15 Minute/s
1 Hour/s 45 Minute/s
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 medium sized pears, peeled and cut into aprox. one inch cubes
- 2 cups raw cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon or one cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest and juice of one orange
- FOR THE CREPES:
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cold milk
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for brushing on pan
- FOR THE FILLING:
- I pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 8oz tub mascarpone
- 1/2 cup sugar (or more to taste)
- I tablespoon cinnamon
- For the sauce: Place all ingredients in a sauce pan over low heat and allow to simmer until cranberries have broken down completely, about one hour.
- Stir occasionally to be sure it isn't sticking to the pan. (If the sauce gets too thick, add small amounts of water as necessary.) Prepare the sauce first, and it should be ready just about the time the cake is assembled.
- For the crepes: Mix all ingredients until smooth in a blender or with a whisk. Refrigerate.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush with melted butter.
- Pour in 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter into the center of the pan and then tilt the pan in all directions to cover the bottom evenly. Cook about 1 minute, or until browned on the bottom. Turn and cook briefly on the other side.
- Cool on a rack or plate as you finish making the rest. Serve as desired. (Note: In this case you want to make sure the crepes are cooled completely so the filling doesn't melt. We popped ours into the freezer for a few minutes.)
- For the filling: Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Place first crepe onto your serving plate (you won't want to have to move it once it's assembled!), and spread with the filling mixture. Repeat until you have used all of your crepes and cream filling. Top with warm sauce and serve! (Note: Save the extra sauce to drizzle warm on each slice as it is served.)