I’ve seen plenty of basements finished with a small bar in the corner but this, my friends, is new level home bar goodness. Like the kind smack dab in the middle of it all that we would belly up to and never leave. It’s also the kind masterminded by Blackband Design that totally kicked off the entire look of this home. Inspired by that gorgeous spanish tile and looking to craft a space that marries LA cool and laid back So Cal vibes, this surf-side home was born. See the full tour snapped by Tessa Neustadt right here.
This 3,644 square foot home is nestled into a private surfing community in San Clemente, the Spanish Village by the sea. We were hired to do a full-scale remodel of the main floor including the entry, bar area, kitchen, dining room, living room and powder bath.
The home had previously been designed in a contemporary Balinese style with travertine tile floors, cherry cabinets and dark green granite throughout. The ceilings and walls were clad in wood paneling.
Our clients fell in love with the home and immediately saw the potential it had, but they wanted to freshen it up and get rid of all the dark wood throughout.
One of the first things we knew we wanted to do was enhance the open floor plan and lighten and brighten the space. The goal was to take the home in a more modern, coastal direction complementing our client’s personal style. The end result is what we like to refer to as LA meets OC, a cool LA vibe married with a casual warm SoCal style.
We instantly fell in love with this hand stamped marble carrara tile that had a cool modern Mediterranean vibe, and we used it as our inspiration point for the entire design of the home. Once we got the bar put together everything else fell into place.
We were inspired by the Spanish influenced pattern on the tile and carried the blue and white theme throughout the rest of the home.
The home owners’ sense of style combined with our design aesthetic gave us the perfect balance to help design this home. We were so fortunate to work with these clients, they really had a clear sense of who they are and how they wanted their home to reflect their personality.
I think one of the first things that stands out was our use of color combinations through surface materials, tile, drapery and fabrics.
• All pillows throughout the home are custom made by Blackband Design
• Rattan occasional chairs in the loft/landing are by Palecek
• Custom Ladder bookshelf by Blackband Design
• Dinner Plates and Brass Silverware are from West Elm (napkin rings are and napkins are also from West Elm)
• Wine glasses are Camille Wine Glasses from Crate and Barrel
• Double chandeliers in the dining room are from Made Goods
• Green Velvet Chaise is custom made by Blackband Design through Lee Industries
• Entry mirror is from Palecek
• Vase on entry console is from Anthropologie and the gold hand vase next to it is from Arteriors
• Kitchen Island display items are from Crate + Barrel
• White garden stool by fiddle fig in living room is from Made Goods
• Living room throw blanket on sofa is from Sacks and Cloth
• Coasters on the bar are from Anthropologie
• White paint used throughout the home is Dunn Edwards DEW383 Cool December