We spend a lot of time on instagram and I know we’re not alone! From work-related tasks to inspiration craving adventures, we’re constantly double tapping our favorites. And this group of designers and creatives is just a small sampling of our go-to’s. They craft spaces that inspire, have homes that will light a fire under your house designing booty and work that truly makes their insta feeds sparkle. Have a look at who we follow when we need a good dose of gorgeous interior inspo.
We’ve been obsessed with fashion blogger, Amber Fillerup of Barefoot Blonde for years now, following along with her crazy good hairstyles, chic fashion sense and of course, her journey as a mama to two sweet babes. But today? Our obsession has turned to her gorg NYC apartment—made pretty with the help of Joss & Main. From the pink couch in Rosie’s nursery to gilded details like this, have a peek at the full tour in The Vault!
From Joss & Main… We recently helped Amber Fillerup of Barefoot Blonde revamp her NYC Upper West Side apartment, including her master bedroom and nursery for her 10-month-old, Rosie. We chatted with Amber about the new spaces and her latest happenings. You can also shop the look at Joss and Main now through November 1.
1. It’s clear you have a knack for fashion. How does your personal style translate into the design of your home? Are the two similar?
Amber: Definitely!!! I have very different styles depending on what I am feeling that day and I definitely think it’s that way for my home. Sometimes I want clean and bright whites and other days I want a pink couch and mint walls!
2. Pulling together a room—easier or more challenging than pulling together a wardrobe?
Amber: Much harder! So many more components and harder to “try on”.
3. You’re now a mother to two children under the age of three—how has that impacted your design style?
Amber: Well, I try to stay away from white. Asking for orange fingerprints! But it has stayed mostly the same – I am okay with things getting a little messy and have accepted that pieces might get a little worn in because of the kiddos. I don’t ever want our home to feel “off limits” to the kids.
4. New York apartments are notoriously tiny. What are your tips for making the most of limited square footage?
Amber: It is really great to find nooks and crannies for storage! We have a shower we don’t use and so we put bookshelves in there and store stuff. We try to get dressers with a lot of drawers. But most just two words – THROW AWAY. Can’t have too much junk in NYC!
5. Walk us through your daughter’s nursery. What do you love most about the space?
Amber: Oh, I love the light! And shag rug. And of course the pink couch. I just love how girly and feminine it feels. Rosie has such a sweet personality and I feel like her room really suits her. She loves to just sit on her furry rug and play with her toys.
6. And your master bedroom? Was there anything the room had to have?
Amber: I loved the white dresser. It was like a breath of fresh air when we got it! We previously had a wooden dresser (we still have it but just in a different room) but this white one just made the whole room feel airy.
7. Do you have any favorite pieces? Items that really make the room?
Amber: I love lighting, so again I really loved Rosie’s light fixture as well as the lamps! I think light fixtures pull the whole room together and put the cherry on top. It is always the most exciting part to me!
8. Tell us about your morning routine. When you’re not taping a tutorial, where do you get ready?
Amber: I get ready wherever the kids are playing. I go in my bathroom and put all the makeup I want to use that day in a bag and I go into the nursery or main room – wherever they are! I usually am sitting on the couch doing my makeup and Atticus loves to “help”. I let him put on my powder and blush, haha.
9. Before we go, we have to ask—what style of braid are you loving for fall?
Amber: I am still loving boxer braids! But have also loved a simple side braid with lots of volume on top!
Photography: Nicole Gerulat | Furniture & Decor: Joss & Main | Style Director, Joss & Main: Donna Garlough
Pumpkin Spiked Latte anyone? This is not your run of the mill Starbucks version. Because last time I checked, that traditional PSL doesn’t have a lick of bourbon. And what fun is that? Take your favorite Fall drink to delicious sipping status with this homemade and booze infused version from The Whisking Kitchen. Psst… find more perfect for Fall cocktails this way.
While I still love a pumpkin spice latte and all the memories associated with them, I thought for the blog I would need something a bit more sophisticated. After all this is The Whisking Kitchen and around here we love bringing our A game to the party. Don’t get me wrong I love the standard pumpkin spice drink (with soymilk!) and I have probably ordered two in the last week buuuuut this particulary recipe steps up the flavor game just a tad.
In my opinion everything made at home is usually waaaaay better than in a retail store. And while I can order an extra shot of espresso at Starbucks, I don’t think they will ever let me add an extra shot of bourbon. That will be the day won’t it ?!
- 1 Cup of vanilla soymilk
- 3 Teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 Ounce of bourbon
- 2 Cups of whip cream
- 4 Cups of freshly brewed coffee, French pressed is my preference
- *Extra pumpkin pie spice for topping whip cream
- In a small sauce pan heat soymilk, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and brown sugar.
- Heat for 20-30 minutes whisking periodically to ensure smoothness.
- Pour quarter of pumpkin mixture and bourbon into a mug and top with 1 Cup of hot coffee.
- Top with plenty of whip cream and extra pumpkin pie spice!
Recipe and Styling: Elizabeth Van Lierde