Can you even handle this right now? Because I, for one, am loosing my ever loving mind! Hear me out: rich, moist banana and ganache layer cake, topped with heaping scoops of ice cream and all the fancy sundae fixins’. It’s a cake and ice cream all in one picture perfect package. If that isn’t dessert nirvana, well I just don’t know what is!
1 Hour/s 20 Minute/s
1 Hour/s 55 Minute/s
- 2 boxes yellow cake mix
- 6 eggs
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 cups mashed banana (4 medium bananas)
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs milk
- Yellow food dye
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 18oz dark chocolate chips
- Chocolate, vanilla, & strawberry ice cream
- 3 bananas
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease (3) 8” cake pans.
- Combine the cake mix, banana, eggs, oil, & water and bake according to the mix directions. Let cool 30 minutes on a wire rack. Slice off the uneven tops of each cake layer so they are perfectly flat and place the first layer on a cake stand.
- Place 9oz chocolate chips in another mixing bowl. Bring 1 cup heavy cream to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, then immediately pour over the chocolate chips. Stir or whisk briskly until all the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Allow to cool slightly until spreadable, then spread ½ ganache over the first cake layer. Top with a second layer of cake and spread on remaining ganache, then top with the third layer of cake.
- Mix butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl for 2 minutes, then add vanilla, milk, and several drops yellow food coloring. Mix on medium speed 3 minutes until frosting is spreadable, adding more milk if necessary. Continue adding yellow coloring until you reach desired shade.
- Frost the cake with yellow buttercream. Keep the top and sides smooth & flat. Place cake in the refrigerator to chill.
- Make a second batch of ganache with remaining chocolate chips & cream, then remove cake from fridge and pour ganache over cake top. Place cake back in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Immediately before serving, top cake with scoops of vanilla, chocolate, & strawberry ice cream. Add slices of banana, whipped cream, sprinkles, and maraschino cherries.