We know it can be tempting to go buck nutty on the sweets table once holidays roll around. And if our collection of 4th of July recipes is any example, we totally and completely encourage it. That being said, it’s never a bad idea to include a healthy option. Enter: star-shaped fruit kabobs. They can be put together in a snap, are a healthy alternative for kids and adults alike, and instantly add that special touch to your table!
|cook time||total time|
- 1 watermelon
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3 bananas (the fatter the better)
- 1 lb strawberries (the larger the better)
- 10-12” wooden kabob sticks
- Star shaped cookie cutters (1" & 2" sizes)
- Slice the watermelon into 1 ½” thick slices. Cut out star shapes (2 per kabob) with the large star cookie cutter.
- Slice the strawberries in half to form two equal faces and remove the stem and leaves. Cut out star shapes (2 per kabob) with the small star cookie cutter.
- Slice the banana in 1 ½” thick slices. Cut out star shapes (2 per kabob) with the small star cookie cutter.
- Beginning with a blueberry, slide each piece of fruit onto the kabob. Alternate a banana star with a blueberry, then a strawberry star, then a blueberry, then a watermelon star, and repeat until the kabob is full. Make sure the fruit is centered over the kabob stick before you slide it on so it doesn’t split the fruit and cause it to fall off. Repeat with remaining kabobs and serve chilled.
Photography: Ruth Eileen Photography