With a collection of fabulous clients the likes of Katy Perry, Ellen Degeneres and Jessica Simpson under her belt, it’s no secret that Mindy Weiss is somewhat of an expert when it comes to planning a picture perfect event. And with the official kick off to summer underway (hello Memorial Day, we are so thrilled you’re here!) we thought we’d pick her brain on her top 10 tips for entertaining this season! And you’d best believe we took detailed notes…
1. Bring the Indoors Out! I love using indoor-outdoor pillows, poufs and rugs as ways to make the outdoors feel homey. When hosting guests at a dinner party al fresco, I like to drape soft throws on the backs of the chairs – that way everyone can easily cuddle up if they get cold!
2. Freshen up with Color: Summer is just around the corner and it’s time for a lot of COLOR! Don’t be afraid to add pop to your party with bright colors! Purchase a fun, colored table runner for outdoor tables and a set of patterned napkins for a fresh look.
3. Treat Yourself to Trays: Add a beautiful serving tray to your countertop indoors, or outside on a garden table. I recently just bought a few new mirrored trays from HomeGoods that I’m loving right now – they have a huge selection of chic styles and the prices are fabulous – and I use them both to serve drinks to my guests and as lovely décor in the garden.
4. Add Color to Your Set of Dishes: Include a few brightly colored dinner plates with your basic white dishes. That simple pop of color adds excitement to the table.
5. Experiment with Ombre: Change up your bar glasses by adding new colored glassware to your collection! Ombre is very on-trend right now, and combining glassware in varying shades of the same color can change the whole look of your bar!
6. Plan a Picnic in Your Own Backyard: Surprise your guests by setting up an outdoor picnic area. Spread multi-colored throws, blankets even large quilts on your grass and add bright colored pillows. The “eclectic look” is in! Place fun trays on the blankets filled with guacamole and chips or bottles of water and glassed bottled soda pop.
7. Invest in a Bar Cart: Freshen up your bar by adding a bar cart to the area where your guests are gathering. The bar cart can be filled with alcoholic drinks for the partiers, or for an outdoor family event try beautiful pitchers of lemonade or iced lavender hibiscus tea. Recently, I took my bar cart and filled it will fun desserts that the guests could try at their leisure.
8. Mix your Materials: Don’t forget to bring plastic dinnerware and glassed for dining outdoors. It not only illuminates weight in your baskets but no breakage when the Frisbee is thrown in the wrong direction!
9. Light up the Garden: Lanterns placed throughout your outdoor area are always noticed! They can hang from gazebos or line the walkway into the party. These lanterns use battery-powered candles as an alternative to regular candles… they’re gorgeous and are safe too!
10. Sweeten up Your Bar: Another favorite of mine is getting glass lidded jars in a variety of sizes and creating a candy shop on your kitchen island, or the corner of a bar.
Entertaining Tips: Mindy Weiss