With summer right around the corner, it’s a great time to refresh your health and beauty routines. Lucky for us, celebrity yoga instructor Danielle Cuccio of Cuccio Somatology and The Beauty Blender is offering up her favorite tips to keep your mind and body in tip-top condition. She’s even included a video tutorial on how to do a yoga vinyasa to get you started!

TOP-SHAPE

1. Water. Lots of it. As the weather gets warmer, we’re more likely to become dehydrated. Drink 2 liters of water a day. Your body and skin will thank you!

2. Apple Cider Vinegar & Probiotics – I can’t stress the importance of our digestive health! When I travel and don’t take my probiotics with me (because they have to be refrigerated), I definitely see and feel a difference. The food I eat doesn’t get digested the same and I just feel like a mess, not just physically! It’s proven that the brain and the gastrointestinal (GI) system are intimately connected so it also has an effect on your mood!

3. Visit Barnes & Noble or Amazon.com – I like having two books that I’m reading at a time. One that has to do with my job: yoga, beauty, health, diet, nutrition, etc. AND another simply for pleasure. My most recent books, “The Man Repeller” by Leandra Medine and Kelly Oxford’s book, “Everything Is Perfect When You’re A Liar“. Both equally hysterical and entertaining! Nothing better than sitting on a hammock, your favorite chair at home or on a pool float reading an entertaining book! The truth is, when we relax, our bodies and everyone else will thanks us!

4. Sunscreen – UV exposure is the strongest in the summer so be sure to lather on that SPF. Sun exposure is important to get in your natural dose of Vitamin D (recommended 5-30 minutes a day). While working as an Esthetician, I saw sun damage to be women’s number one skin concern. I like to go with a SPF 30 or higher. If you have any freckles, scars, wrinkles and you’d like to prevent any more damage, lather on that SPF! Reapply every 2-3 hours.

5. A Hat – Invest in a hat. Know you’re going to be in the sun for more than 30 minutes? A hat can protect your skin in ways that sunscreen can’t and won’t.

6. Yoga – Too hot to go on a run or hike? Yoga is most often practiced indoors! Yoga allows us to connect to our body in a deeper way. When we do this we can connect more intuitively to our bodies, allowing us to pay more attention to our diets, sleep patterns and overall wellbeing. I practice and teach Power Yoga to keep my body in shape, especially during bikini season!

7. Fruits & Vegetables – A plant based diet is the way to go. Stay away from red meat as much as possible. Summer months have some of the best fruits available! Watermelon, anyone? Watermelon works wonders in replenishing lost fluids in the body. Also, watermelon also contains lycopene, which protects skin against sun damage!

8. The 80/20 Rule – 80% of your diet should be plant-based emphasizing vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains and the other 20% can be where you slack off and enjoy things like cookies, pizza, a cupcake or whatever you are craving!  

9. Exfoliate – This one I don’t see people doing enough. Pick up a cleanser with jojoba beads or a light microdermabrasion cream cleanser. Use 1-2 times a week in the shower on your face. Get rid of dead skin cell buildup and let your skin radiate this summer!

10. Get Some Fresh Air – Last, but not least, enjoy the summer breeze. Open those windows and enjoy the beautiful weather summer has to offer you! There is nothing like a fresh breeze coming through your home on a hot summer day. Pour a glass of lemonade and enjoy…

Bonus! Check out Danielle’s video on how to do a Vinyasa below:


Photographer: Carolina Tumpal | Celebrity Yoga Instructor: Danielle Cuccio | Danielle's Home: Danielle Cuccio