One of my favorite classic recipes is pineapple upside down cake. The moist sponge cake topped by brown sugar sweetened pineapple rings is perfection. This is a vintage recipe that has been around in my family for years, and I am happy to share it with you. I hope you serve it this summer when you need a tried and true yet delicious cake to present for a family dinner.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6-7 pineapple rings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the cake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, eggs and pineapple juice until well mixed. Set aside.
- Next melt butter to a 9 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, whisk in brown sugar and cook for 1 minute.
- Line the bottom of the butter and sugar mixture with 6 to 7 pineapple rings and saute over medium heat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour cake batter on top of the pineapples.
- Bake cake for 28-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes then invert the cake onto a serving plate and serve.