This little dog bed is perfect for your spicy, full of personality fur buddy! We made ours specifically for a 5lb Yorkie so it's definitely on the very small side, but it's easy to adjust accordingly! It's simple and customizable so that you can have fun with it, but if you need a little more guidance, we've laid out our exact steps and dimensions. It's the perfect project for those of you who have never worked with wood but are looking to DIY!
Plywood (we used 24"x24" 1/4 inch thick pieces)
Jig Saw or Circular Saw
1. Start by measuring out and drawing out your design. You'll need:
1 back (12 W x 12"H)
1 bottom (12" x 12")
1 top 14" W x 11 3/4"(shorter for name header)
2 sides (12 1/8" W x 12" H x 15" H)
1 name header (14" W x 2" H)
2. Label the pieces with a pencil so you know which is which. Once you cut with a jig or circular saw (preferably a circular saw for more of an even cut- but if you're not comfortable use a jig saw. Just go slow and keep control) sand your edges to make them clean and ready to go.
3. Gab the bottom and back pieces and glue the edges. Then Nail, one on each side and middle. Make sure the back piece goes behind the bottom piece!
4. Now bring in the first side. Place along side the back and bottom, glueing first then nailing them together. Repeat other side. Note that the shorter side of the side piece goes along the back with the longer towards the front.
5. Place the top piece aligning it all the way to the back piece. You will have about 1/2 inch left towards the front, this is where we put our name piece. This is completely optional, if you don't want to do this just add the left over to your measuring. Take the name header (which is about 14" x 2")
6. We then took some paint and added some bunting! We added his little name header with some stamps we had laying around, but I think it will look cute if you hand paint it!
Note: We used 1/8" thin plywood because it was cheaper. If it's your first time we suggest you get thicker plywood, 1/4 of an inch thick should be perfect. Depending on the size you want to make the dog bed the dimension of the plywood can range anywhere from 2' x 2' to 4' x 8'! One more thing: when placing the pieces together we added the thickness of the wood to some of the measurements so you'll have something to nail it to so make sure you adjust those dimensions accordingly.
This might seem intimidating but I promise its super easy, have someone who's used power tools before help you out if you think you need it! Even if your cuts are a little off i'm sure your fur baby won't mind! If you have any questions- shoot us a comment and we'll be happy to explain further!