Did you hear that? That’d be my mouth watering over Megan Doherty‘s incredible cupcakes. This right here is what you’d call a grown up treat. Void of sugary frosting and colorful jimmies, these beauties are what you’d serve when trying to impress at an elegant affair. The olive oil infuses a rich, moistness that can’t be beat, while the citrusy syrup is simply aces! What I’m trying to say is these babies need to be yours, and stat.
- FOR CAKE
- butter and flour, for pan
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups whole milk
- zest of three meyer lemons and one blood orange
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 orange, sliced for garnish
- FOR SYRUP
- juice of 3 Meyer lemons and one blood orange
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour two cupcake pans. (Aerosol cooking spray will also do the trick).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and granulated sugar until blended.
- Add the olive oil, milk, and orange zest; mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add to egg mixture; stirring just until blended. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes; until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cup cakes are baking, prepare the syrup by simmering the citrus juice and sugar on low heat until it thickens slightly.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Loosen the sides with a knife and invert the cakes onto a serving plate.
- Brush the syrup over the cupcakes and dust with powdered sugar.
- Garnish the cupcakes with fresh Meyer lemon and blood orange slices.
PS – There are more Megan & Katie recipes riiiight here!