Hello Spring! During this time of year, I love to host brunches that are simple, elegant and fun. This recipe is always a perfect dish to serve. The subtle hint of citrus brings out the berry flavor we all love during this time of year, and the crumble topping is the perfect complement to the moist cake. Serve this for breakfast or brunch, impress your guests this season! For more, head on over to Grandbaby Cakes.
- FOR THE BATTER:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 8 ounces fresh blueberries tossed in 1 tablespoon flour
- FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add butter, canola oil and granulated sugar and mix on high until light and fluffy (about 4-5 minutes).
- Next lower speed of mixer to medium and add in one egg at a time mixing after each addition.
- Slow mixer down again to slowest speed and alternate flour and lemon zest with sour cream until all ingredients are added and batter is smooth.
- Add in both vanilla extract and lemon extract and turn off mixer.
- Lastly using a spatula, carefully fold in flour tossed blueberries without breaking them in the batter.
- Pour the batter in a non-stick sprayed loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and flour to a bowl and pour melted butter over it. Whisk together until crumbs form.
- Sprinkle crumble topping over the top of cake batter.
- Bake cake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool for 10 minutes then remove cake from loaf pan to cool completely.