I’m totally smitten with Lisa & Laura‘s idea of a modern tea party. Tea parties in general tend to be associated with all things sweet and dainty. The thought of overhauling the idea entirely is totally refreshing! Modern dishes, some bacon flavoured butter (oh, you heard right!) and this recipe for the most divine cheddar cheese biscuits you’ll ever sink your teeth into is all you’ll ever need in life. Scouts honour!
From Lisa Ho Studio… I’ve always been a lover of tea parties and I wanted to showcase a version of a tea party with a modern flare. We’re so used to seeing tea parties with traditional tea cups and ornate trays (which are lovely and beautiful) but I wanted to cater to those less traditional and use touches of minimalism, pops of colour, and natural materials for this tea party.
I centered the party around the saying “A Perfect Blend” – a party fit for a couple celebrating their upcoming marriage or a bridal shower to honour the bride-to-be. Our venue was the perfect setting, interior designer Cherie Stinson was kind enough to lend her beautifully designed kitchen with marble table tops that set the stage for our spread. Using natural wood cutting boards and all white dishes we kept the look simple and modern.
The theme of “A Perfect Blend” was carried throughout the food as well. I infused honey with different ingredients like cinnamon, lavender, and lemon zest to create a variety of flavours to sweeten the tea or biscuits. I also added items like bacon, rosemary and cayenne pepper to butter to form new and exciting flavours.
The biscuit recipe is by Chef Lynn Crawford of Ruby Watchco.
|prep time||cook time||total time|
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 ¼ cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine first 6 ingredients in KitchenAid 13-Cup food processor using the dough blade and blend. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until fine meal forms. Transfer to large bowl. Using the food processor, grate cheese using reversible shredding disc. Transfer cheese into large bowl and mix well. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Mix enough buttermilk into flour mixture to bind dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently until combined, about 10 turns. Pat out dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Using 3-inch-diameter cookie cutter cut out biscuits. Gather scraps, pat out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut additional biscuits. Transfer biscuits to ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash. Bake until golden brown and firm to touch, about 18 minutes. Serve warm.