How good is strawberry milk? And how gross is that stuff that you pour into it with 15 unidentifiable ingredients. So we gave this favorite treat a little SMP makeover with fresh strawberries, real sugar and a touch of vanilla. And the result? Not sure, it was gone in about 6 seconds. Click here for even more Valentine’s Day Recipes.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed & chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Put the strawberries, water, & sugar in a medium pot and lightly stir to combine.
- Heat over high heat until the mixture begins to boil, then turn the heat down slightly and boil for another 10 minutes. The mixture should reduce and thicken slightly.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and remove from heat.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a medium bowl and pour the mixture through the strainer. Press the strawberry solids with a spoon to extract all the syrup.
- Pour the strawberry syrup into a jar or pitcher for storage, set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- You can save the cooked strawberries to add to pancakes or oatmeal if you like.
- Add 3 tablespoons of strawberry syrup to a glass of milk and stir briskly (or more, depending on desired sweetness).