It’s officially Valentine’s day! Clearly SMP’s favorite holiday. So here’s what you’re going to do. Run to the store and grab 5 ingredients: strawberries, pre-made pie dough, powdered sugar, strawberry jam and nutella. This will give you everything you need – minutes a few staples that you definitely already have – to make Strawberry Milk & Homemade Pop Tarts. Boom.
- 1 package (2 rounds) of pie dough
- 1 egg + 1 tsp water
- strawberry jam, nutella, any other filling you want
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs milk
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out hearts from your pre-made pie dough. You'll need 2 for each pop tart. Depending on the size of your cutter, you should get between 4-6 hearts per pie dough round.
- Place 1/2 of your hearts onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Place a heaping TBS of filling on 1/2 of the hearts- jam or nutella or whatever you want.
- Top each heart with a matching heart.
- Using a fork, press your edges together.
- Combine egg and water. Paint on a thin layer of egg wash to each tart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown on the top. You may need to check at the 8 minute mark and you may need to go longer than 12 depending on your oven. The key is a golden brown top.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, mix your powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. The mixture should be viscous but not watery. If it's watery, add more sugar. If it's too thick, add more milk.
- Once your tarts are cool, cover with icing and top with sprinkles!