Because cupid has more than one arrow, why not treat all the loves in your life with these super easy heart shaped strawberry hand pies. Bring a batch to your co-workers. Drop some on your neighbors door step. Heck, my cavalier Addison may have tried one. Not a fan of strawberry? Simply sub any fruit of your choice; the possibilities are endless. For more, head over to Waiting on Martha!
Mandy Kellogg RyeRustic Heart-Shaped Hand Pies
3 Hour/s 30 Minute/s
3 Hour/s 45 Minute/s
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling dough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice water, plus 4 more, if needed
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 Quart of strawberries
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar
- heart shaped cookie cutter
- FOR THE EGG WASH
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- In a food processor, pulse flour, salt, and sugar several times to combine. Add butter. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with just a few pea-size pieces remaining.
- Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with fingers (if needed, add up to 4 tablespoons more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Do not overprocess.
- Turn dough out onto a work surface; form dough into two 3/4-inch-thick disk. Wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- About 15 minutes before the dough is ready to be removed from the refrigerator pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and hull strawberries cutting them into quarters and placing into a mixing bowl. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar depending on the natural sweetness of your strawberries and mash the mixture to a consistency where you still have some larger chunks of strawberry. Set aside.
- unwrap dough; place on a large piece of floured waxed paper or floured surface. Roll dough to two a 14-inch round. Using your heart shaped cookie cutter cut out hearts and place half of them on to a lined cookie sheet.
- Scoop approximately 1 tablespoon of strawberry mixture and place on to heart. Place another piece of heart dough on top creating a pie and gently press down the sides. Then take a fork and moving all around the border of the heart gently press down to create the crease and seal your pies. Repeat until there are no more hearts left.
- Beat egg and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl, and brush each pie completely with the mixture. Sprinkle sugar on top of each and bake 15-18 minutes or until pies turn a golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes before devouring.
*Note: Feel free to use store bought dough if homemade isn’t your thing!