For the holidays, I’m always looking for pretty looking deserts that look impressive, but are simple to throw together. A trifle tends to fit the bill perfectly! It’s easy to make, versatile in the ingredients used, and if you make it in single serve glasses, it just feels special. This recipe is perfect for newbies as it uses store bought favourites. If you have the time and inclination – feel free to make your own cake and custard! For more recipes, head on over to my blog Audrey’s!
1 Hour/s 10 Minute/s
- 8-10 purple plums
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 pods of cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite vanilla pudding or custard.
- 2 cups of cubed yellow cake. (I used leftover cake I had in the freezer. You can use store bought loaf cake.)
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 cup of crushed pistachios
- 8 whole pistachios, peeled
- 2 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds
- Cut plums into quarters and add to small saucepan. Add sugar, cardamom pods and a splash of water. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and let simmer until plums are soft and break apart. Take off heat, let cool and remove cardamom pods.
- Fill 8 glasses with 1/4 cup of vanilla custard/pudding. Top each one with a couple of cubes of cake, distributing nicely so cake pieces are seen around the glass.
- Once plums are cooled, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of plums on top of pudding and cake.
- Sprinkle each glass with 2 teaspoons of crushed pistachios.
- Whip your cream with the sugar. You can do this with a mixer, but whipping by hand will give you nicer whipped cream.
- Gently top each glass with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and one pistachio nut.
- Serve immediately!
Recipe + Photography: Audrey's