Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor for I believe Sweet Lyon has outdone themselves this time. Ginger + carrot are basically a match made in heaven, married perfectly to become this sophisticated holiday cake. Beautifully captured by Alyssa Rosenheck Photography, there are a number of goodies in the gallery (and we’ll be sharing the recipes with you all in the coming weeks!)
- 5 Cups of Grated Carrots
- ½ Cup of Candied Ginger – Chopped
- Zest of One Orange
- 2 ½ Cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1 ½ Teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- 1 Cup of Unsalted Butter ( 2 Sticks), at room temperature
- 1 ½ Cup of Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 2/3 Cup of Milk
- Preheat oven to 350' & grease four six inch cake pans and cover bottoms with parchment paper.
- Grate carrots in the bowl of a food processor. Finely chop the ginger and place in a bowl with carrots, set aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda & powder, spices. Add orange zest to the dry ingredients.
- Place butter in the bowl of stand mixer. Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy – 3 or 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla.
- Add one third of the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk in a total of three additions- ending with the flour. Mix until just incorporated.
- Stir in the ginger and carrots.
- Evenly divide the batter in the pans. Bake until the cake springs back to the touch- about 30 minutes. Rotate the pans after 15 minutes.
Photography: Alyssa Rosenheck Photography | Floral Design: Whole Foods Market | Catering: Sweet Lyon | Addison Glass Candle Holders: Pottery Barn | All White Serving Platters: Crate And Barrel | Linen Hemstitch Table Runner: Pottery Barn