Up until I was 12 years of age I survived solely on white food. And by white food I mean chicken fingers, noodles (hold the sauce) and plain rice. Truly. How I didn’t perish from scurvy is beyond me. But I swear, Brown Eyed Baker’s grean bean casserole is one that even my 12 year old self would have devoured. Bonus? They taste like you slaved over the stove for days, but they’re actually ridiculous easy to make. You’ll look like such a rockstar!
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 4 slices white bread, each slices torn into quarters
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups canned fried onions (about 6 ounces)
- FOR THE BEANS AND SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed, and halved
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, stems removed, wiped clean and chopped finely in the food processor
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- Pulse bread, butter, salt and pepper in food processor until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with onions.
- FOR THE BEANS & SAUCE
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 2 tablespoons salt and beans. Cook beans until bright green and crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Remove beans from pot using a slotted spoon and plunge in ice cold water (this will keep them bright and green and stop them from cooking futher). Spread beans on paper towel to dry.
- Add butter to now-empty pot and melt over medium-high heat until foaming subsides.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, ¾ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook about 6 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth and bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Add cream, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced to 3½ cups, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Wait until cooled.
- Once cool, arrange grean beans in an even layer in a 9x13 baking dish and pour cream overtop.
- Add topping, plunk 2 tablespoons of butter on top and bake for 15 minutes or so, until topping is golden brown and sauce is bubbling. Serve immediately.
- NOTE: You can refrigerate the beans overnight in the cream sauce. Simply add the topping right before you're ready to bake.