Just when I started getting excited about fall, this incredible al fresco, throwback lobster boil had to go and find its way into my inbox reminding me of all things summer lovely. Styled by Kristy Rice and photographed by With Love and Embers I’m inspired to take advantage of the last few warm days that remain by throwing my own end of summer event. There’s lots more where this came from, right here in the gallery!
From Kristy… I never need much of an excuse to celebrate – it’s in my nature. So when my team really steps up and comes through on a massive project, I tend to go all out as there is no doubt I am grateful for all that they do everyday.
For this particular event, I decided on a Lobster Boil for our late summer bash at a local spot called Twin Ponds. Throwback style details were my focus to infuse a sense of comfort familiarity. Most of us grew up in the 80’s so that was my go to decade when envisioning every detail; From Spirograph artwork and fruity sodas to a neon color palette and Wonder Woman lunchboxes.
– Incredible venue with rustic pavilion, fieldstone bandshell with roaring fireplaces, macrame hammocks and vintage leather swings! Mature forest, grasses and weeping willows surround the large pond.
– Cafeteria tray place settings with kitschy-packaging of lobster bibs, menus and handi-wipes.
– Personal jokes a la Momental team could be seen tucked into just about every detail – cute little phrases/jokes only we would “get”.
– A beautiful dahlia painting was made into a pattern and then used on envelope and cafeteria tray liners.
– Hand painted letterpress invites: double thick stock was first stained with intense fuchsia, crimson and violet inks, then letterpressed. I then added neon painted moments to the Momental Family Crest artwork (the design of which was again filled with imagery personally meaningful to the team).
– Spirograph menus (I had so much fun making each different and remembering what each disc did!). Each was then hand-watercolored with random washes of golden and blush color.
– Florals were installed atop brown butcher’s paper. I collected dahlias that morning from my garden and Tanti of Papertini built an organic runnner of amaranthus, eucaplyptus, ferns, roses, ranunculus, blueberries, figs, asparagus and raspberries. We did indeed start eating the table runner as the night wore on!
– We hired a regional bluegrass band, The Coal Town Rounders, that many of our team has enjoyed over the years at local bars, etc. The band hid in the rustic pavilion at the start of the party and quietly began playing as the everyone arrived. Most thought I had an amazing playlist going but soon realized the music was LIVE – it was such a memorable moment to see their faces!!
– The Jones sodas that featured team photos from over the years
– My team loves to eat so Gricos in Exeter, PA built a menu to make sure they would be thrilled:
Crab and andouille fritters with cilantro sauce
Tomato pies with heirloom tomatoes and cheeses
Fried green tomatoes with remoulade sauce
Low country boil: spicy sausage, lobster, shrimp, clams, potatoes, garlic
Buttermilk biscuits, sweet potato biscuits, cornbread
Sweet corn buffet with melted butter, chopped fresh herbs, black sea salt, Cajun seasoning mix and a gorgonzola/bacon butter
– Dessert was presented in what I dubbed the very “grownup luncboxes”. Of course each Momental Girl received a vintage style Wonder Woman lunchbox filled with Pecan Pie, Peach Cobbler and the mixings for their favorite cocktail!
Photography: With Love & Embers | Styling: Momental Designs | Floral Design: Papertini | Food: Grico's | Band: Coal Town Rounders | Venue: Winslow Estate | Hand Painted Stationery: Momental Designs | Linens: La Tavola Fine Linen Rental