Truth be told, I’m not much of a steak eater. But when I do indulge, I indulge hard and I make sure to do it right. Sauteed mushrooms, a pad of butter, medium rare and straight off the grill (kind of making myself hungry here)… It never really occurred to me that there was any other way to do it. But after drooling over Kevin & Jo‘s recipe for a pan-seared version, I think I may have to change my ways.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, whole
- 3 each garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns, whole
- 2 each ribeye steaks
- to taste kosher salt/fresh ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp. whole butter
- Remove thyme leaves from stems. Start at the top of the sprig and pull downward toward the bottom.
- Remove the skin from garlic cloves and mince.
- To crack whole peppercorns, place peppercorns between a folded clean kitchen towel. Press firmly (give it a good whack) with a mallet or back of a skillet to crack in half.
- Combine first seven ingredients into a plastic freezer bag and toss to coat. Allow steaks to marinate for a minimum of 2-4 hours for optimum flavor.
- Heat black skillet on medium high. Add grapeseed oil. Once oil is hot, add seasoned steaks and allow to sear for 2-4 minutes.
- Flip the steaks and cook for another 2-4 minutes cooking to desired internal temperature.
- Prior to removing from skillet add whole butter to pan and spoon over the meat to create a sauce and an enriched, buttery flavor!