When we featured Boutique Bites’ fabulously girly event not long ago, my eyes were immediately drawn to these corn & crab bisque shooters. Not only are they a breeze to whip up, they look adorable with the addition of a sparkly pom, and can easily be enjoyed with one hand as your guests balance a cocktail in the other. So, in true SMP fashion, we asked Elaina to spill the beans on how she whipped up this sweet appetizer. And spill she did.
- 6 ears of corn, husk removed
- 4 cups corn stock (recipe below)
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1T olive oil
- 1T butter
- Salt, to taste
- Minced chives, to garnish
- FOR THE STOCK:
- Slice corn kernels off of ear, reserving ears.
- Place ears in a pot, cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain stock, and use to prepare soup.
- FOR THE SOUP:
- Sauté the shallots in a pan with the olive oil and butter until soft.
- Add the corn kernels to the pan. Season with salt and continue to sauté on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the corn stock to the pan and let simmer for 10 more minutes. Once kernels are completely soft, transfer to a blender and puree until smooth, adding more stock as needed for desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pour into shot glasses and serve with warm crab.