On my recent trip to San Francisco I experience my very first egg white cocktail. Quite honestly the sound of raw egg white in a drink sounded questionable to me but after taking a sip, I was hooked. Egg white has long been the secret ingredient in classic cocktails and gives them body and that signature fizz we all love. So let’s get started with the most classic of all egg white cocktails, the Gin Fizz. Good gin, fresh squeezed lemon juice, egg white and a splash of club soda all garnished with a maraschino cherry. This is a light and lady-like cocktail with just the right balance of sweet and sour. So get those eggs out and get a cracking! You’ll be happy you did.
|cook time||total time|
- 2 oz. gin
- ¾ oz. of fresh lemon juice (about ½ of a lemon)
- 1 heaping tsp. of confectioners sugar
- 1 egg white
- Club Soda
- Maraschino cherry for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add gin, lemon juice, sugar, and egg.
- Shake vigorously…more than usual to “fizz” the egg white.
- Strain cocktail through a fine mesh sieve into glass.
- Top off with club soda and garnish with a cherry. Enjoy!
Recipe + Photography: Leah Bergman, Freutcake