You know that feeling when you get into a total recipe rut. When you’re making the same three desserts over and over again just because they’re “safe.” Well, I can 100% guarantee this Strawberry Bavarois sent all the way from Tokyo will pull you out of a rut faster than you can say, “Pass the heavy cream, please.” It’s the perfect treat for a hot summer day — or any day, really — making Elli’s grandma our new go-to gal.
|cook time||total time|
- 10-11 oz strawberries
- 1 oz sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6-7g unflavored gelatin powder
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- Set aside 14 strawberries (6 for decorating, 8 for the gelatin powder). Hull & quarter the rest.
- Place the quartered strawberries, sugar, and 1 tablespoon of water in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Pour out in a large bowl.
- Pour the cream in a bowl and whip until it holds medium peaks. (You can do this while cooking the strawberries. See step below.)
- Hull and quarter the 8 strawberries. With the lemon juice and 2 tablespoon of water, place in a small saucepan over very low heat and cook until very liquid. Pour into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin powder in while the mixture is still hot. Stir well until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into the strawberry juice in step 2. Add the rum if you like. Mix well.
- Fold one-third of the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture in step
- Gently fold in the remaining whipped cream and stir until no streaks remain.
- Pour into individual glasses (or ramekins) and place in the refrigerator
- until firm.
- Adorn with halved strawberries (and a dollop of whipped cream if you like) just before serving.