Ladies and Gentlemen. A moment of silence. Why you might ask? Well, this weekend is National Ice Cream Day. I know. I know. It’s too much. Maybe better than Christmas? So in honor of this beloved holiday, we have whipped together what might be our favorite ice cream to date. It rivals the Funfetti variety we made a few weeks back and could easily go up against the Strawberry Ice Cream whose bowl I happily licked. So do yourself a favor and pay a little Caramel Ribbon homage to National Ice Cream Day.
4 Hour/s 30 Minute/s
- CARAMEL RIBBON
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs heavy cream
- Pinch salt
- ICE CREAM
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla
- pinch of salt
- caramel popcorn (we like ours from the box)
- To make your ice cream, combine your sugar and 1 cup of cream in saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar is entirely dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine additional 2 cups of cream, vanilla and dash of salt.
- Pour your dissolved sugar mixture into your cold cream mixture and stir completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours. Follow the instructions on your ice cream mixer to make your ice cream.
- To make your caramel, combine the brown sugar, the 1/2 and 1/2, the butter and salt in a sauce pan. Stir constantly on medium heat until the sugar dissolves and your mixture begins to thicken, about 8 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and cook for another 2-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the heavy cream. Let cool while your ice cream is being made.
- To finish your ice cream, place a very thin layer of ice cream in a container.
- Drizzle on your caramel. Add more ice cream. Drizzle on more caramel.
- Repeat until you are out of ice cream and caramel. There is no science whatsoever to this. Use as much or as little caramel as you want. Freeze for 30 minutes to firm up a bit.
- Top with caramel popcorn!