Cooking dinner for my family is a bit of a challenge. My kids basically only eat white food. Chicken nuggets, noodles, ice cream. Don’t judge, we’re working on it. My husband on the other hand is an 80/20 vegan. Meaning that 80% of the time he eats a strict vegan, no oil (at all) diet and the other 20% he eats whatever he wants. He does this for health reason and actively tries to push that 80% closer to 100%. Anyway, finding quick easy meals for both ends of the spectrum is always a challenge but this soup fits the husband bill to a T. It’s delish.

Summer Lentil, Kale & Sweet Potato SoupA bright, Summer soup filled with lentils, sweet potatoes and kale.
prep time
15 Minute/s
cook time
45 Minute/s
total time
1 Hour/s
Serves 4Ingredients
  • 6 cups water, plus 1/2 cup
  • 2 TBS better than bouillon
  • 2 cups cooked lentils
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup Kale, veined and chopped (we used about 1/2 cup b/c that was all we had)
  • 1 medium sized white sweet potato, large dice (any variety of sweet potato works)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 carrots (or 8 baby carrots), diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp lemon, zested and juiced
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp white pepper
Instructions
  1. Combine diced sweet potato with 1/2 cup of water (you can also use oil or wine). Cook until they begin to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
  2. Add in garlic and carrots (add more water or broth if it has evaporated). Cook for another 5 minutes. If using fresh garlic, add garlic near the end of the 5 minutes.
  3. Add in cooked lentils, kale, onion powder, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper and bay leaf. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add 2 heaping spoonfuls of better than bouillon. Cook for another minute, stirring gently. Add in water. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
  4. Serve! Oh and it's even better the next day.

Recipes on SMP Living: