We’re all about healthful eating today on SMP Living. From the Kale Salad that we started with to the Lentil Soup that we just gobbled up. But of all of our favorite clean eating recipes, this is definitely our new favorite. Because it kind of tastes bad for you but good for you at the same time. And whether you serve it on a bun, burger-style, or top it with a big ole dollop of yogurt (or sour cream) and some cucumbers, you’ll love it just the same.
**This recipe is also great served with a Mexican flair. Substitute lime for lemon juice, add in a tsp of chili powder and serve with sour cream and our Best Ever Guacamole!
- 1 cup pearl quinoia
- 1 Tbs better than bouillon
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, cooked until soft
- 1 tsp dried garlic (or 2-3 cloves of garlic)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (optional)
- juice of one lemon
- cooking spray or oil
- Rinse your quinoa until the water runs clear. Bring quinoa, better than bouillon and water to a boil (or substitute veggie broth). Cook for 15 minutes at a low simmer. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, combine your cooked sweet potato with your spices & lemon juice. Mash thoroughly.
- Add in your cooked, warm quinoa.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray or lightly coat with oil. Form your "quinoa dough" into palm sized patties about 1" thick. Place in hot skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve with Yogurt (or Sour Cream), diced cucumbers and blistered tomatoes.
- Blistered tomatoes are made by cooking cherry tomatoes at 425 for about 15-20 minutes until the brown and just barely start to burst open. We cook them dry but you can also use a spritz of olive oil.