When you work in what is essentially a test kitchen (read: um, hello caramel shortbread bars and funfetti ice cream…) having 1 day a week of pure, clean, healthful eating is a must. And kale, well, as trendy as kale might be…it’s also quite the superfood. And quite delicious. So this salad is inspired by the one at Whole Foods, just slightly modified to add a bit more zing.
|cook time||total time|
- 1 bunch of elephant kale (about 10-12 large leaves), veins removed and chopped
- 8 baby carrots
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup carrot ginger dressing (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/carrot-dressing)
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 2 TBS)
- 2 TBS sesame seeds
- 1/2 avocado, 1/2 for topping (optional)
- Chop carrots into small chunks (no need to be scientific with this one).
- Combine soy sauce, carrot ginger dressing (totally delicious without the dressing too), lemon juice and avocado in a food processer. Pulse for 20 seconds or so until well combined. Carrots will still be chunky, not pureed.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in sesame seeds.
- Add your kale and stir until every last leaf is coated.
- Set aside for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 hour to let the kale leaves soften.