We’re mid-july and, despite the high temperatures outside, it still hasn’t really hit me that summer’s here. I think it’s safe to blame this on a serious lack of beach time. And after setting sights on this seasonal shoot, from ANAIS & DAX, I’m thinking this needs to be rectified immediately, if not sooner. A wool blanket, some fresh seafood and a group of good friends? I’m in! See the rest right here in the gallery
From ANAIS & DAX…We are regular photo contributors for Kinfolk Magazine, and feel very lucky to be part of a talented group of photographers and writers who make this publication unique. Nathan Williams, the magazine’s editor asked us to shoot a story for the 2012 summer issue, and suggested that we focus on the quintessential outdoor gatherings that we all love so much after a long winter.
Since we live in Los Angeles, we thought it would be appropriate to set the shoot at the beach. Our friend and producer Adee suggested that we meet with a couple that she thought would be a great fit for the story. We met James and Elaina at our favorite coffee shop in Venice (Intelligentsia), and we instantly fell in love. Kind and beautiful inside and out, we knew they would be perfect for our shoot.
To this day, this job is still one of our favorites, also because we had a lot of firsts on that job. It was the first time we got to work with our favorite producer Adee Pelleg who took care of us like a friend/mother would. It was our first magazine cover ever. And it was the first time we got kicked out of our location for not having a permit. As Adee and one of us (Dax) was trying to sweet talk the law officer into letting us finish our shoot, the other (Anais) was shooting what she didn’t know at the time was going to be the next Kinfolk cover. If you look at the photograph you can see both Elaina and James (our models) laughing at our situation and trying to stay cool all at once. After taking that photo one of us (Anais) cleverly hid the memory card in her bra strap for fear it would get confiscated! Needless to say, it was a really really fun shoot, filled with some great memories with friends and talented creative people!
And if you’re anything like me, this shoot has you craving clams. So here’s one of my personal favourite classic recipe for this special treat:
- 6 dozen fresh clams
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups clam juice or water
- Parsley leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Wash the clams thoroughly. Make sure to remove any that have even the slightest bit of odor.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and cook garlic and onion until fragrant and slightly transluscent.
- Add the wine and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the clams and the clam juice and cover and wait 10 minutes.
- At this point, the clams should start to open. Make sure to discard any that have not opened.
- Remove clams from saucepan and transfer to a bowl or serving platter.
- Add parsley, salt and pepper to the remaining juice in the saucepan.
- Pour the juice and the melted butter overtop the clams.
Recipe Adapted from: Food Network | Photography: ANAIS & DAX | Production: Production on 5th | Prop Styling: Jessica Comingore | Assitant Prop Stylist: Krista Schrock | Models: Elaina Bellis + James Branaman