I’m not going to lie, it’s only recently that I’ve come around to the notion that gluten free, organic, vegan treats and the like could actually taste good. Not only are they good, if done correctly, you shouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Now I know that some of you skeptics are sitting there shaking your head at me, but one taste of Not Your Sugar Mamas gluten free chocolate cupcake recipe (below!) and I promise you’ll be a convert as well. Captured by Jocelyn Filley, there’s more from this sweet shop right here in the gallery
From Jocelym… I am a life long chocaholic and while my tastes and preferences have been refined over the years from a first love of Hershey Kisses to an adult romance with organic dark chocolate, I never thought that one bar would completely alter my cravings. That was until I picked up a sweetly wrapped square of raw handmade chocolate out of the refrigerator at a local bakery. There was something uniquely satisfying about that first taste of Not Your Sugar Mama’s Be Original chocolate. Not only did it fulfill my craving for something sweet, but it made me feel good.
Soon I discovered that the lively duo behind this delightful treat was equally sweet and energizing. Chatting with Bennett Coffey and Kyleen Keenan at one of their certified organic cafes, it is immediately clear that they are passionate about their mission to unite powerful super foods with delicious and nourishing treats. They began three years ago with a series of unique chocolate bars; each handmade in small batches using only the most nutrient dense food, free of refined sugars and preservatives.
Following the success of their chocolate bars, Bennett and Ky added a signature hot chocolate, smoothie mixes cookies, scones, cupcakes and truffles to their offerings. Each treat is created both for the indulger and the health conscience foodie. With a growing demand for gluten free foods, the small chocolate company took it a step further to provide desserts for those with any food allergy. Completely free of dairy, gluten, and soy, you just can’t go wrong with any of their delicious creations.
And seriously, this might just be your lucky day, because these ladies have oh so sweetly agreed to divulge one of their world famous (at least it should be) recipes for Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes.
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 3/4 Cup Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 teaspoons Organic Vanilla Extract or Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Organic aluminum-free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 3/4 Cup Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 cups Organic Coconut Milk
- 3/4 Cup Organic Agave
- 3/4 cup melted organic coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Vinegar
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine oat flour, cacao powder, vanilla extract or powder, baking powder, salt and palm sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix the coconut milk, agave, coconut oil and vinegar.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until combined.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes, rotating once for even baking.