So I have this thing with Cream Cheese. I hear the word Strawberry and I instantly think “And Cream.” According to my thighs it’s a terrible habit, but honestly…it’s just who I am and I totally own it. So when I envisioned the recipes that would come from our Strawberry Series, I immediately thought of this favorite. Because it’s soooo easy and sooooooooo good. Perfect for the 4th. Oh and store bought crust + no pie dish equal totally painless perfection.
- 2 store bought pie crusts
- 1 pint strawberries, large dice
- 4 TBS Sugar, divided in half
- juice of one lemon
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese, 2 TBS of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the diced strawberries, 1/4 cup of sugar, juice of 1/2 lemon and the 1 TBS of cornstarch.
- Roll out and trim your pie dough so that it is approximately 14" x 10." This measurement is not at all important so long as the two pie crusts are equal in size and fit in your pan.
- Lay one crust onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread with cream cheese mixture. Top with strawberry mixture. You may have a bit left over.
- You want to leave about 1/2" around the edges and try not to overfill your crust.
- Lay your top piece on, cutting three 1-2" slits in the top.
- Using a fork, seal the edges.
- Brush egg wash over the top and edges.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. It's a large spread because it depends on how thin you roll out your crust. Ours was done at 25 minutes but we watched it like a hawk from 20 minutes on.
- Let sit until completely cool. OR dive right in and serve with vanilla ice cream. Heaven.
- **This works just as well without the cream cheese. Try mixing in blueberries and raspberries too!
And if you missed it, we’re doing a whole series on strawberries from Picking Your Own to Buying Your Own, and then Storing Them. PLUS: Strawberry Ice Cream and Strawberry Cream Muffins!