Every good Mexican Fiesta needs a splash of sweet to finish up the celebration. You could go with a gorgeous flan or warm churros but since it’s Summertime and since our meal was a bit on the rich side, we went with these Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes. They are bright and fresh and utterly delish.
2 Hour/s 30 Minute/s
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup oil
- Lime zest of one lime
- 2-3tbs orange liqueur
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 sticks butter (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
- Juice of one lime
- 2-3 Tbsp. Tequila
- Pink food coloring
- Sliced lime & zest for garnish
- For your cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl for 2 minutes until thoroughly blended. Place cupcake liners into cupcake pan and fill each cup ¾ full with cake mixture. Bake for 18 mins. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For your frosting, mix the egg whites and sugar in a standing mixer on high for 7-15 minutes, until stiff peaks form.
- Turn the mixer to a low speed and add in the butter, strawberry preserves, lime juice, tequila, and food coloring. This will turn the frosting somewhat soupy and separated, but it will come back together after mixing again.
- Turn the mixer back up to high and mix for another 3-8 minutes, until icing is fluffy and somewhat stiff. If you’re still having trouble, try putting it in the fridge for 10 mins and then mixing again.
- Frost the cupcakes with a large round tip and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Garnish with a slice of lime and a sprinkle of zest. For a little extra kick, you can sprinkle on some sea salt.