It’s Friday afternoon, the sun is shining and we’ve got roasted tomatillo salsa on our plates. If that’s not reason to celebrate, well, I just don’t know what is. I do, however, know for certain that Melissa’s fabulous recipe is calling your name. Yep, it’s spicy, savoury, celebratory goodness in salsa form, folks. And with that, we bid you the happiest of happy Fridays!
4 medium-sized tomatillos
½ small jalapeño pepper (or whole if you like it really spicy!)
½ small white onion
¼ cup fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to roast at 400°. Remove husks from tomatillos and slice each in half. Place tomatillo halves flat side down on aluminum foil covered baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes.
2. While tomatillos are roasting, chop jalapeño and onion and toss into small food processor. Add fresh cilantro and juice of 1 lime.
3. When tomatillos are done roasting, let sit for about 5 minutes, then add to food processor with the other ingredients. Toss in a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse until ingredients are blended to your preference whether you like your salsa chunky or smooth.
*For a bit of creaminess, add ½ avocado.
There are so many ways you can enjoy this tangy salsa…
1. Chill for 1 hour in the fridge to pair with tortilla chips for a quick and easy appetizer.
2. Serve warm on top of pulled pork tacos or enchiladas.
3. Mix salsa in with warm queso and serve soft tortillas on the side.
Recipe & Photography by: Melissa of Yours Truly