Recipe Adapted from My Little Norway
1 lb Almond Flour (can be found at Whole Foods)
4 egg whites
1 lb powdered sugar
Kransekake cake ring molds
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. In a large bowl, mix almond flower with one egg white. Sift in powdered sugar. Beat remaining 3 egg whites and then add to large bowl. Mix dough thoroughly.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic and place in the freezer for 2 hours.
4. Grease the Kransekake molds. Remove the dough from the freezer. Take a lump of dough and roll it out until in makes a sausage roll about the thickness of your finger. Step Five: Fill the ring molds with the dough.
5. Set the molds on baking sheets and bake in the center of the oven, about 10 minutes. Cool the rings on cooling racks.
6. When cool, stack the rings largest to smallest to form a pyramid. We dusted ours with confectioners sugar, but for a more secure cake you can "glue" the rings together with icing.
7. Stir together one egg white, one 1 cup powdered sugar, and 1 tsp lemon juice and put in a pastry tube with a small round tip. Apply the frosting in zigzags around each ring as you assemble the cake. To serve, break into 2" pieces.
Satsuma Bundt Cake
1 cup butter
3 cups flour
1/3 cup fresh satsuma juice
2 tbs finely grated satsuma zest
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
6 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease the bundt pan
2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, satsuma zest, baking soda, & salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter & sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in satsuma juice & sour cream.
4. Add in the flour mixture in 3 sections, being careful not to overmix - only until the mixture is just incorporated! Spoon into the bundt pan and tap on a work surface to level the batter.
5. Bake 55-60 mins, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly. Let it cool in the pan several minutes, and then turn it out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. ust with confectioner's sugar before serving.
Classic Mulled Wine
Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa
4 cups apple cider
1 bottle cabernet sauvignon
1 tbs honey
3 cinnamon sticks, and 1 to garnish each glass
1 orange, juiced
4 whole cloves
2 oranges, sliced thinly, for garnish
In a large saucepan, mix the cider, wine, honey, orange juice, cinnamon sticks, & cloves. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to simmer for 10 minutes. Scoop out the cloves & cinnamon sticks. Pour into glasses garnished with cinnamon sticks and and orange slices.
Photography: White Loft Studio / Design and Styling: Style Me Pretty