Before we dive headfirst into our Wrapping Essentials Guide, we thought we’d revisit one of our all time favorite gift wrapping extravaganzas. That we still reference for its crafty goodness and all out gifting beauty. Designed by the beautiful and oh-so-talented Summer Watkins of Grey Likes Weddings this is sure to get your gift wrapping giddies a going. Oh and there is a GORGEOUS DIY associated with it so that you too can make those perfect ribbon poms below!
Styling and Inspiration: Grey Likes Weddings / Photography: Jenny Liu / Calligraphy: Calligraphos Ink / Gift Tags: Mae Mae Paperie
Beyond, right? Okay so before we let you run wild with our Gift Wrap Essentials Guide blow, we thought we’d equip you with a fun little token of SMP love, crafted for us way back in the day by MaeMae Paperie. What could it be, you might ask? Well, they are only the worlds most adorable (printable) gift tags ever. And there is more for the taking right here.
Okay, so you know how the old saying goes: food always tastes better when served on a beautiful dish. Likewise, we believe that gifts are just a smidge more exciting when gorgeously wrapped! True, it’s the thought that counts… but with a little effort, you’ll wow all of your friends and family – not just the giftee. We’ve put together a little guide to steer you in the right direction. As you can see, it’s as easy as pie!
First things first. Once you’ve found the perfect gift for your favorites, it’s time to gather the basics.
1. You’ll want a good pair of shears (preferably cute ones) and some scotch tape. Regarding scissors, we like this pink pair from Walmart and this awesome pair in the likeness of the Eiffel Tower (cute gift idea alert).
2. Clear scotch tape, as we all know, is essential. Design Darling’s Acryllic Tape Dispenser has always been near and dear to our hearts (not to mention, it’ll look fabulous on your desk all year long). Additionally, 3m’s Scotch Tape Pop-Up dispenser would render even the most novice of wrappers a superstar.
Trim Pickins’. Great trim is an often overlooked aspect of gift-wrapping, but it can make such a difference! It’s nice to have a few different types on hand, if only so you have the option to switch things up. Basic hemp twine is fun and organic, but we’re also fans of the colored variety (this blue and white number stole our hearts). Add a bit of whimsy to your gift with something like Sass & Belle’s tree-shaped ribbon. If you’re more of a traditionalist, opulently-colored velvet ribbon won’t disappoint. And for something altogether different, try washi tape! It’s available in so many darling designs and hues and can transform even the most boring of packages into a work of art.
Bohemian Wrapsody. Now comes the fun part: picking out wrapping paper. Here, the options are absolutely endless! Clockwise, from the left:
1. For the little objects and trinkets that can’t be wrapped, we love Paper Source’s gold glitter boxes. Tied with a ribbon, et voila! Instantly amazing.
2. If you’re short on cash, why not use a paper grocery bag? Trim off the handles, cut out the bottom and adorn with a bow. Friends and family will be amazed by your thriftiness.
3. Rifle Paper Co.’s Holiday Greens Wrapping Sheets was love at first site. What can we say? Anna Bond is genius!
4. For the music lover in your life, might we suggest using pages from a piano book? If you’re gift is large, you could even glue a few together to accommodate the size. So romantic.
5. If your giftee is an accomplished gourmand, chef and food critic Katie Lee’s gift wrap for One King’s Lane (the proceeds of which support Feeding America) is a perfect fit. Oh and mark your calendars, girls – One King’s Lane will begin selling the gift wrap on December 6.
6. For your unique, artsy friend, we think vintage constellation paper is a swell idea. We love these super inexpensive replicas of the real deal that you can print at your nearest Kinko’s. Easy, cheap and creative.
Tag! You’re it. Never underestimate the importance of the gift tag. And our darling gift tag suggestions will make the task of labeling your gifts just as exciting as wrapping them. Left to right:
1. Your DIY and home-cooked gifts deserve a tag that says so, don’t you think? We adore Minted’s Full of Love gift tags. Each one is personalized and can be used on multiple occasions.
2. Oh, how we love Felix Doolittle! We find his self-adhesive gift tags irresistible.
3. Paper Pastries’ “From the Kitchen of” Stamp Kit can transform a plain index card into a darling gift tag in two seconds flat. As we’re huge fans of home-baked gifts, we think it’s a rather smart investment!
4. For a more personalized vibe, we like Felix Doolittle’s Oval Kitchen Labels. You have the option to input both your name and the name of the treat on the actual label so that friends and family know what they’re getting.
5. The Style Me Pretty team just loves this vintage-inspired Telegram Delivery Gift Tag for obvious reasons. Can’t you see your grandparents getting a total kick out of this?
6. The foxy ladies in your life deserve nothing less than iomoi’s James the Fox gift tag. Though they have several darling styles, we’re partial to this lovely number!
There you have it, my friends. A fun, fabulous and entirely steal-worthy Guide to Wrapping Gifts to Total Perfection. So bookmark this post, share it, tweet it, shout it from the rooftops…because the more people know about it, the more likely you will be to receive a pretty package of your very own!
Though we legitimately love them, Minted is an advertiser on Style Me Pretty.