A roasted turkey is one of those tricky things. I wish I could stuff myself with it regularly, but always refrain from doing so as its occasional appearance tends to make it feel special. It’s one of those traditional treats reserved for big family gatherings and fabulous holidays alike. And what better way to do so than with the simplest turkey recipe in all the land. Yep, we’ve got it right here, and it’s really stinkin’ good.
2 Hour/s 30 Minute/s
- 8 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 fresh turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 1 whole lemon, halved
- 1 Spanish onion, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the zest and juice of the lemon and 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves to the butter mixture. Set aside.
- Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash the turkey inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers and pat the outside dry. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the turkey cavity. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, halved lemon, quartered onion, and the garlic. Brush the outside of the turkey with the butter mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey.
- Roast the turkey about 2 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh. Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil; let rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice the turkey and serve.
*Adapted from: Barefoot Contessa
Photography: White Loft Studio | Linen Tablecloths: New England Country Rentals | Hatchback Chairs: New England Country Rentals | Linen Chair: New England Country Rentals | Mixed Vintage Silverware: New England Country Rentals | Charger Plates: DIY HERE (original plate from Crate & Barrel) | Gold Rim Salad Plates: West Elm | Linen Appetizer Plates: Crate & Barrel | Napkins: DIY HERE (original napkin from Crate & Barrel) | Cocktail Glasses: Crate & Barrel | Salt & Pepper Cellars & Tiny Spoons: Crate & Barrel | Swoop Bowls: Sur La Table | Gravy Boat: Sur La Table | Turkey Platter: Abby’s personal collection, similar from Crate and Barrel | Serving Platters: Abby’s personal collection | Cake Stands (for Apps): West Elm | Wooden Salad Bowl: Crate & Barrel | Serving Spoons: Crate & Barrel | Wine Glasses: Anthropologie | Magnolia Leaves & Gardenia Stems: Fifty Flowers