While we wait for the gorgeous vintage inspired affair that I sneak peeked a little earlier, I thought you might enjoy this really great holiday DIY project that Viola over at Chewing the Cud put together for us. It's the perfect cost cutting gift for family and friends and done on a smaller scale, would make for pretty awesome favors! Oh and the gorgeous packaging...from her adorable line of eco-chic gift wrap.
Materials and Ingredients
2 jars (I bought these at the Container Store but they are easily found at craft and cookery stores)
1 orange (or 2 lemons or 4 limes)
A few sprigs of mint leaves
1. Use a vegetable peeler to remove long strips of zest (the outside peel) from a large orange, 2 medium lemons, or 4 medium limes.
2. Put the zest in a clean, dry jar and bury it with granulated sugar. Tightly close the lid to the jar.
3. Wash and thoroughly dry some fresh mint leaves (use your favorite variety of mint - spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, etc.)
4. Put a little granulated sugar in the bottom of the jar, then add a layer of mint leaves, then another layer of sugar.
5. Keep layering the mint leaves and sugar until the jar is full. Tightly close the lid to the jar
Next comes the presentation. I chose to use the Give Cheer fabric wrap from my collection but you could use any large piece of fabric that you love.
1. Place the 2 containers side by side.
2. Turn them outwards so they lay flat on opposite sides.
3. Take the corner of the wrap closest to you and start rolling.
4. Tuck the end flap in and place the containers upright so they are next to each other.
5. Tie a knot to form handles for your packaging.
Voila! Give Cheer this season!
Holiday DIY Flavored Sugars
While we wait for the gorgeous vintage inspired affair that I sneak peeked a little earlier, I thought you might enjoy this really great holiday DIY project that Viola over at Chewing the Cud put toge...