We’ve seen pie pops with fruity fillings and savory hand pies on a stick, but never before have our eyes laid on the holy grail that is the pie pop filled with salty caramel popcorn. Ladies and gents – it’s real, and it’s crazy good. Leave it to sweet genius Melina of Sugary & Buttery to come up with this creative treat!
“I have also been wanting to bake something with popcorn for a while and then, one day, it dawned on me: Pie pops filled with salty caramel popcorn! And what can I say, they are a-mazing,” says Melina of Sugary & Buttery. “I ate FIVE pie pops right off the sheet before they even cooled down… couldn’t help it.”
For the full post and tips on making the easiest homemade pie crust ever, check out Sugary & Buttery!
1 Hour/s 20 Minute/s
- FOR THE PIE CRUST:
- 200 g flour
- 100 g cold butter (remove from fridge 20 min before)
- 50 ml cold water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups popcorn (popped)
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup "half and half" or cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pinch of salt
- FOR THE EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cut your cold butter into cubes.
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl and carefully mix in the butter cubes with a folk or a pastry blender.
- Add the cold water and keep blending.
- Then use your hands and carefully blend the dough with your hands, but not more than 2 minutes. The dough should be dry and flaky.
- Form a ball and refrigerate for 30 min.
- While the dough is resting, chop your popped popcorn until all pieces are about the size of lentils.
- To make the caramel sauce: Mix all your ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook while stirring for about 8 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Set aside and let it cool for about 5 minutes, then mix it in with the popcorn (leave some popcorn aside to sprinkle on the pie pops later).
- Preheat your oven to 350°F / 180°C. and whisk together the egg yolk and milk to make some egg wash.
- Remove the dough from your fridge and roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Using a flower shaped cookie cutter (or a round one), cut as many pieces as possible.
- Press the remaining dough together, refrigerate for 10 mins and repeat.
- Place your ovenproof (!) cake pop sticks on the little pies, top it with your filling, brush some egg wash on the edges and cover with a second layer of dough. Using a folk, or a thoothpick, slightly press together the edges of your pie pops to seal them.
- Brush the top of the pops with egg wash and sprinkle some of the remaining popcorn on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until light golden brown, remove them from the oven and let them cool!