With New England under a fresh layer of snow, this early morning chocolate indulgence is calling our names. Dessert for breakfast anyone? The Dark Chocolate Naked Cake with Ganache Filling is part of our delicious Valentine’s spread, and it promises to be your new favorite go-to. Find the recipe below and up next we have a how-to for making your very own champagne tower. A match made in heaven!
Dark Chocolate Naked Cake with Ganache Filling
We used this chocolate cake recipe (doubled) which makes four 8″ rounds
* Note – You will end up with 1 extra cake…which to me, is kind of awesome. You can freeze it and use it for impromptu guests or for crumbles on ice cream sundaes!
We used this ganache recipe (doubled)
* Note – You will end up with extra ganache which is another total bonus…you can use the ganache to make homemade filled chocolates!
1. Cut the tops of each cake with a serrated knife to ensure that they are all level.
2. Place a dab of frosting on an 8″ cake round and add your first layer.
3. Scoop 2 ice cream scoops full of ganache and use an offset spatula to push your chocolate just past the edges. You want to keep your layer of ganache as even as possible. Add more or less to your liking.
4. Add your next layer and repeat with the ganache.
5. Add your final level and repeat.
6. Using a bench scraper at a 90 degree angle while turning your cake as you go, scrape the excess frosting around the cake.
7. Once your cake looks fairly smooth, use your offset spatula to add a bit more frosting to the “in between” layers. It’s okay if it’s messy.
8. Use your offset spatula to again, pull the excess frosting until nice and smooth (and a bit messy looking!)