It’s Friday, that lovely day of the week where it’s perfectly acceptable to mix up a cocktail as soon as the clock strikes 5:00! Today I’m excited to share a fabulous Friday cocktail recipe for Asian Pear & Ginger Sparklers. Not only is this drink fresh and delicious, it’s also an excuse for me to gush endlessly about my love for the Asian Pear.
If you’ve never had the pleasure of trying one, Asian Pears have the firm and crisp texture of a green apple but with the flavor of a mild pear. It’s basically the perfect combination of two well-loved fruits. I have been a long time admirer of Asian Pears and eat them cold, straight out of the refrigerator, smeared with a bit of creamy brie cheese or muddled into a refreshing cocktail. The possibilities are endless. Come to think of it, this Asian Pear & Ginger Sparkler would make the perfect companion for a cheese board served at your next ladies night or dinner party.
Around these parts you can usually find Asian Pear at the grocery store but if they are not available where you live you can also find them at specialty stores and Asian Markets. Of course you could always substitute Bosc pears or any firm ripe pear that is in season! I promise, the cocktail won’t mind. So, give Asian Pear and Ginger Sparklers a try and let me know what you think! Cheers.
|prep time||cook time||total time|
- 4 oz. vodka or pear flavored vodka
- 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Asian Pear, chopped and cored plus slices for garnish
- Ginger ale, to top
- Ginger Syrup (recipe follows)
- mint for garnish
- Ginger Syrup:
- ¼ cup sliced, peeled ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Make the ginger syrup:
- In a small sauce pan combine sliced ginger, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain out ginger and discard, reserving syrup in an airtight container until you are ready to use.
- Assemble the cocktail:
- Divide 1/2 chopped pear between two glasses and add the rest to a cocktail shaker. Muddle well with vodka, lemon juice and ginger syrup allowing pear to release it's flavors.
- Fill with ice and shake until well chilled.
- Strain into prepared glasses, top with Ginger ale and garnish with a slice of pear and a sprig of mint. Serve.