Gone are the days of matchy-matchy and in is a cool eclectic look filled with mixed metals. From kitchens to bathrooms and cozy living spaces too, we’re seeing this trend pop-up everywhere. But mingling different finishes can be tough to maneuver. Not sure how to blend brass and chrome seamlessly? Try these five tips from expert metal mixers, Studio McGee.
From Studio McGee… We love mixing metal finishes to give a more eclectic look, but it’s easier said than done! We receive lots of questions from clients and followers about mixing finishes. Is it okay to mix metals? How many can I put in one room? Which finishes work best? We LOVE the contrast and variety mixed metals create in a space. Over time, we have discovered that there really is a method to our madness! So today, we’re breaking out of the matchy-matchy, and giving you our guide to mixing metals!
Choose one dominant metal and use the other metal as an accent.
Separate metals by height. All items on a similar plane should be the same metal.
Juxtapose cool and warm tones.
Mix 2-3 metal finishes in a space. And remember, black goes with everything!
Create balance. Spread the dominant finish throughout the room.
Design and Styling: Studio McGee | Photography: One: Travis J Photography | Two: Becky Kimball | Three: Travis J Photography | Four: Studio McGee | Five: Lindsay Salazar
If sunshine and bright, happy places are your cup of tea then this Seattle home will for sure steal your heart. It has white walls that pop and a citrusy color palette of orange, peach and gold that really warm things up. Plus about a billion perfectly styled vignettes. Which makes perfect sense seeing as how the owner of this chic abode also owns the prettiest home decor store, Forage. Click through the gallery captured by Emma Rose to see more and tour the store!
There is no question that the moment you step inside the home of Colleen and Darrek Rosen you feel something truly special. Their space is dreamy white with touches of peach and gold throughout, making it a space that is sophisticated, elegant, and comfortable.
Colleen and Darrek reside in Seattle, Washington where they have raised two beautiful daughters. Darrek runs his own successful business while Colleen is the co-owner of a beautiful retail space downtown called Forage where you will find stunning inventory and additional stock available for rental, lifestyle, food, product, and editorial shoots.
Living in the Pacific Northwest can be gloomy but you won’t feel those dreary days inside this home. It is absolutely spectacular and stunning.
|Share this gorgeous gallery on |
A Pop of WhiteView Slideshow
Photography: Emma Rose
There’s no question that a margarita is my absolute favorite cocktail. But really, anything that involves tequila is a winner in my book, and this Mango + Blackberry Tequila Cooler? Is giving the classic margarita a run for it’s money. Get the recipe from Anna Foushee below!
Melissa BaranMango and Blackberry Tequila Cooler
|prep time||cook time||total time|
- (for the Mango Simple Syrup)
- 3 small ripe mangos, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 8-10 leaves of fresh mint, plus more to use as garnish
- (for the Tequila Cooler)
- 4 shots of Tequila
- 10-12 fresh blackberries
- 1 bottle of sparkling water/club soda
- crushed ice
- Puree the slices of mango in a in a food processor or blender.
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a medium-size sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the sugar is dissolved. Off the heat, add in the pureed mango and mint leaves and let the mixture cool for 10-15 minutes. Strain the syrup into a pitcher and discard the solids. Let it cool completely before using.
- Fill glass with crushed ice. Divide the mango simple syrup in between four glasses. Pour 1 shot of Patron Silver in glass. Top off with club soda. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and 2-3 blackberries.
- Serve! P.S. For our friends who preferred Vodka, we also made this drink with a shot of vodka instead!
Photography: Blue Barn Photography | Design: Anna Foushee | Calligraphy & Design: Milk & Honeycomb | Rentals: Cottage Luxe