We may have conquered the best waffles ever but envisioning them drenched in cold vanilla ice cream and warm peaches, well, yeah. I think I might start crying. Or at the very least run out to Whole Foods to steal the last of the season’s peaches. This is one of those meals – crafted by Juniper & Dash with photos by Alexandra Whitney – that you don’t want to let slip away.
From Juniper & Dash…Last summer I went to Knoebels Amusement Park in Central Pennsylvania… what does this have to do with this recipe? I’ll tell you! It was there that my family and I first discovered the ice cream sandwich made with a warm waffle! Greatest thing ever!!
So when this summer came around I wanted to attempt to make a version of it, but maybe add a little extra flavor… and so this recipe was born! Be prepared to eat WAY too many for your own good!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1¾ cups milk (can interchange this and the lemon juice for equal quantity of buttermilk)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup corn oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 2 ripe peaches
- 1 tsp butter - melted
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk and lemon juice (if using buttermilk you can just add it to the bowl). Then add corn oil, eggs and thyme.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of the dry ingredients and mix just until batter is smooth and lump free. It’s best to let stand for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your waffle iron.
- When it reaches the desired temperature, scoop enough batter into the center of the waffle iron and smooth out.
- Close iron and cook until desired crispness. Repeat until batter is gone.
- While waffles are cooking…. Brush flat side of peach half with butter and place directly on a preheated grill which is set at about medium-medium high.
- Grill for about 5 minutes or until peaches have grill marks. Peach should also be soft.
- Scoop vanilla ice cream on warm waffle and add grilled peaches.