Everyone knows the real star of a Super Bowl party is the munchies with the commercials being a close second. The line-up of apps is a much anticipated topic in our household and this year, Spicy Caramel Bacon Popcorn is the leading contender. Who doesn’t love bacon? And mixed with caramel and popcorn – it’s enough to make you rethink your current Super Bowl menu.
- 5-6 slices of bacon
- 12 cups air-popped popcorn
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (14oz) bag of Kraft caramels
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place bacon strips, side by side, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes until crispy.
- Remove bacon from oven and place on paper towels to cool, then chop bite-sized pieces.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the popcorn into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Unwrap caramels and place the caramels, butter, water, and cayenne in a large saucepan. Cook on low heat until melted, stirring frequently.
- Quickly fold the bacon into the caramel mixture, then pour onto the popcorn. Toss the popcorn like a salad until caramel is thoroughly mixed in.
- Pour the popcorn onto prepared baking sheet, then flatten and break into clusters while the mixture is still warm. Let cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.