Gentlemen of SMP, this one’s for you. And ladies, we won’t tell if you anonymously leave this post up on your sweetie’s screen. The truth is, engagement rings aren’t always discussed at length, because well, a proposal is most often a surprise. But nonetheless, scouting out the perfect ring is a tough process. So why not go custom? Josh Levkoff is giving us five handy tips on the process today. If you’re in the market for a one-of-a-kind sparkler, you might want to tuck this one away for safe keeping!
From Josh Levkoff Private Jeweler… We all know someone whose engagement ring is just…meh. That should never be. For something that will be worn and seen every single day, an engagement ring should be loved, cherished, and coveted! As a custom jeweler at Josh Levkoff Jewelry for many years, I’ve seen it all. From clients who know exactly what they want, to those who have no clue, creating custom jewelry is an experience from beginning to end. By going the custom route, you and your jeweler can create a one-of-a-kind engagement ring together that you can be sure no one else in the world has. So what exactly is the process and best way to approach customizing an engagement ring? Here are five important tips to getting the sparkler you’re in the market for.
1. Get inspired. From pages of a magazine to pins on Pinterest, inspiration can be found anywhere! Talk to people, take pictures of friends’ rings, go window shopping—anything for interesting ideas. Knowing your (or your significant other’s) style is important as well. Are you a risk taker, or more conservative? Do you like to dress up, or be casual? These factors can be brought into the ring creation. At a loss? The design team at Josh Levkoff Jewelry can provide you with plenty of ideas to get the wheels turning.
2. Find a jeweler you trust. Working with someone you can trust is a very important factor in this process. Ask around—usually word of mouth will find you a reliable jeweler. From there, be sure to use their knowledge, resources, and experience. Let him or her bring their talent and creativity to your project! After all, they’re in this business for a reason.
3. Set a budget. Custom rings are not just for the rich and famous, but because of their endless possibilities (and the fact that there are typically diamonds involved), they can get pricey quickly. So set your budget, be upfront about it with your jeweler, and stick to it. There are many ways a jeweler can help you can stretch your budget and maximize resources to obtain a beautiful piece. And remember: bigger is not always better.
4. Pick your stone. This is when it starts to get fun! At Josh Levkoff Jewelry, clients not only get a beautiful end result—they are educated along the way. When custom designing a ring, you first pick out the center diamond and then you build the rest around it. The design team goes through all of the shapes and sizes of diamonds and/or various other gemstones until you find the perfect stone. With diamonds, craftsmanship and quality can vary drastically, so it’s important you find a jeweler who can give you the best quality piece for the best price.
5. Be open-minded and have fun! With today’s technology, anything you dream up can be created. And if you’re worried about taking a risk on a unique ring, don’t be! Thanks to CAD, or computer-aided design, you can see what your piece will look like before you throw down your credit card. CAD will help your jeweler take the design concept and its specifications (such as finger size, metal type, stone shape and size, stone placement, shank width, setting style, and more) and build a 3D design for your approval. So don’t be afraid to be a little adventurous! This is a unique opportunity to showcase your freedom of expression.
When customers see the final piece completed, they are mesmerized by it. And after being involved throughout the entire process, they feel a stronger appreciation for their unique piece. A custom design piece of jewelry always turns into an heirloom, a true treasure.
Photography: Elario Photography Inc | Jewelry: Josh Levkoff Private Jeweler | Venue: Private Residence
Josh Levkoff Private Jeweler
is a member of our Little Black Book. Find out how members are chosen by visiting our FAQ page