I was the wedding girl. My husband knew it when he picked me up for our first date, he knew it when he got down on one knee, and he knew it when I started planning our wedding on the plane ride home from the proposal. The honeymoon was all for him, or so I thought. I had no clue how much I needed that romantic post-wedding trip (a lot). So when Nancy from Honeymoons and Get-A-Ways offered up her ten best tips for planning a honeymoon, I jumped on the opportunity to take notes. Time for a second honeymoon!
1. When should I start planning my honeymoon? The sooner the better. Planning ahead allows you time to budget accordingly and get necessary documents needed should you not have. Planning ahead also enables you to confirm that “one of a kind room” many resorts offer making your honeymoon even more special.
2. Have an idea of your Geography. Yes, Seychelles, Maldives and Fiji are amazing honeymoon destinations, but not if you have less than one week for your honeymoon. An exotic location is ideal if you have enough travel time and don’t mind long flights. Some locations require over a day traveling time and you also need adjust to time difference.
3. Know your budget. Airline fares play a significant role when planning your budget. If you are a frequent traveler, save your mileage and try to use your accumulated mile points. Many credit cards offer airline mileage awards that may assist you as well.
4. When do you want to leave? If you are getting married on a Saturday, you may want to rethink traveling the next day, especially when traveling to the Caribbean as most flights leave in the morning. Also the month you get married may affect your destination choice due to Mother Nature.
5. What type of honeymoon are you looking for? Discuss with your fiancé what is most important for you to experience while on your honeymoon: adventure, relaxation, touring, a little of everything? Communication is key! I suggest writing your wish list separate and then comparing notes with each other.
6. What kind of resort are you looking for? Unique and boutique? All inclusive? Many resorts offer all-inclusive options, allowing you to know ahead of time exactly how much you will be spending. Some resorts go one step further and include excursions or catamaran sailings with their all-inclusive package.
7. Does the hotel offer anything special because it is our honeymoon? Many resorts offer amazing honeymoon packages that can be purchased for a certain amount or are complimentary when booking a certain room category with minimum nights. These packages can include anywhere from a romantic dinner on a beach, complimentary massages, and breakfast in bed, to free anniversary stays and many more.
8. What kind of deposit do I need? When is final payment due? When do I need to pay? Depends on the honeymoon you have chosen. If you are choosing an amazing adult only all inclusive, most tour companies only require a minimum deposit with final payment usually due 45 days prior to departure. If selecting, say an exotic Safari in Africa, payments may vary. Airlines dictate the rules for payment of airline tickets. Most require full payment within 24 hours of making reservation. Ask your travel agent about online bridal registries.
9. Do I need a Visa, do I need vaccinations? Some destinations do require Visas; your travel professional will be able to advise you of that requirement and assist in obtaining them should you need. Also important is what type of passport you are traveling under, many countries are now requiring passports valid 6 months after entering country. Always best to confirm with your doctor if they suggest vaccinations to where you are traveling it to an exotic destination.
10. I don’t need insurance, this is my honeymoon and I will never cancel. There are hundreds of circumstances that could cause you to cancel your trip, return home early or force you to seek emergency medical treatment while traveling. Travel Insurance provides protection for your travel investment. Travel insurance also provides the peace of mind that you are not alone when you are really in need.
Thanks so much Nancy! Thanks to you, I’m inspired to start planning my next romantic getaway…
Honeymoon Planner: Honeymoons And Get-A-Ways