We’re always eager to soak up info on how to get that sultry smokey eye or the dramatic red lip but what about your day-to-day approach? When you want to look put together and oh so fresh but not have it take hours to do so? I don’t know about you (but I bet you’d agree) that I’m in need of advice on how to look fab every single day, not just those nights on the town. That’s where Gina Kay of True Beauty Marks comes into play and her basic – but far from boring – steps for your everyday 101 beauty look.
1. Start with clean hands and a clean, moisturized face. Apply a face primer to prep your skin and it helps your makeup last longer! We love lighter, non silicone based primers, like Hangover by Too Faced, or Auto Pilot by Napoleon. Most of us busy ladies prefer a quick process for getting ready in the morning, so products with multiple uses are always a great time saver! For instance, BB and CC creams (Beauty Balms and Color Correcting Creams) are lightweight, hydrating versions of foundation that have SPF in them with smooth coverage. Apply with your hands or a clean sponge.
2. Next place some concealer where needed for extra coverage, blemishes, dark circles, etc. Blend with your ring finger or sponge. Concealers should match your skin tone or be one shade lighter for a little extra highlight under any tired eyes.
3. Sweep some blush along your cheek bones from the center of your eyes towards your temples – and blend the edges! We recommend filling in your brows lightly, as they frame your face and show off your beautiful eyes! We love Anastasia of Beverly Hill’s soft brow shadow and an angle brush. Light strokes from the bottom brow line up through the hair keep the shape, but feather in the shadow for a nice, natural look.
4. Have a bit of extra time? Apply a light layer of eye primer on your lids with your ring finger and curl those lashes!
5. For an every day look, pick one to two soft, neutral eye shadow colors, keeping the lighter shade on the base of your lid, and one a tiny bit darker along your lash line and outer corner. Make sure to blend them together with a soft eye shadow brush for a lovely, uniform look.
6. To keep things on the softer side with your eyes, all that’s left is mascara; I prefer eyeliner for evening looks. When applying eyeliner, keep the line thinner in the inner corner of your eyes, which makes your eyes look bigger! Blend with some darker eye shadow or if a liquid/gel liner is your thing, use the pencil first as a guideline and then trace over with the liquid/gel liner to avoid the dreaded uneven cat eyes!
7. Finish with the lip color of your choice and a little bit of powder to keep that shine down. Some of my favorite lip colors are Tarte’s Lip tints, they’re super hydrated and give you some pigment like a tinted chapstick, but better! If it’s going to be a long day or night, I use a Sealant Spray (Urban Decay or Ben Nye are favorites) and lightly mist over my makeup and let it dry. It keeps everything in place and keeps you looking fresh all day!
Want to switch up your usual routine? Try a different shade of blush or lip color! A soft peach is fun for summer or a muted berry tone on the lips can make your smile look super bright! Have fun with your makeup!
Photography: Redfield Photography | Photography: Lauren Fair Photography | Hair + Makeup Advice: True Beauty Marks