With the help of the super talented Mark Townsend and Dove Hair, we’ve had the pleasure of bringing you a behind the scenes look into how the most gorgeous hair magic happens through this oh-so-fabulous series of posts. Mark, and his arsenal of Dove Hair products transformed Jess into a boho chic beauty and made my mane into a modern, yet elegant top-knot worthy of any special occasion. And now? It’s time to go glam on our lovely Libby. She channeled her very best Lady Mary, and donned a look that would make the ladies (and gents) of Downton Abbey besides themselves with envy. Soft and romantic, her look couldn’t have been more vintage glamour, and paired with that gorgeous Jenny Packham gown from Gabriella Bridal New York Bridal Salon? It was all around perfection. Looking to master the same look for your big day? Mark is here with all the tips…
From Mark Townsend…When I think of vintage glamour, I immediately think of the hairstyles of the ‘20s and ‘30s. This isn’t messy, undone, accidental hair. This isn’t I-just-jumped-out-of-the-shower-and-look-this-way-naturally hair. This is hair that was styled and set on purpose. So many of the looks from back then have a face-framing element, which I love. Today everyone is so busy and on-the-go and sweeping their hair up, but there’s just something so romantic about hair that hugs the face. Of course back then, the hair was around the face for warmth, or so that it wouldn’t get ruined under a hat, but I still love that element of glamour.
After years of doing my clients for red carpet events, the hair always follows the dress. When Libby picked out that Jenny Packham dress with the old-school silhouette, I was ecstatic and immediately knew that I was going to do finger waves in a snood-style roll-up. The dress has a modern feel too, and I wanted to reflect that in the hair too — that’s why I made it purposefully asymmetrical.
1. Start with the NEW Dove® Daily Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner. It provides up to 5X smoother hair in just one wash* for women to have great hair on their special day! Hair is left silky to touch and easy to manage without feeling weighed down with excess residue. Libby does not have very much damage (it helps that she does not often use heated styling tools!) so this formula was perfect to maintain her hair’s daily need for moisture while also giving her beautiful, bouncy hair. After washing, blow hair out with a roundbrush, focusing on creating volume and bounce. Part hair deep and on the side. (*Dove® Daily Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner system vs. non-conditioning shampoo)
2. Rub a generous dollop of the Dove® Style+Care Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse between palms — it feels really light and airy out of the bottle but turns into a really creamy lotion. Then pat on damp hair from roots to ends for added moisture. Since you’re doing a deep side part, you’ll appreciate that hold and shine.
3. Working in 2” square sections and rolling hair under from root to end, set entire head with a ¾-inch curling iron. Set each curl with a butterfly clip and allow to cool and set for 15 to 20 minutes. Yes, it’s a pretty small iron — and time consuming process — but that’s how to get that gorgeous s-curl we’re after.
4. Remove clips, mist the Dove® Style+Care Strength & Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray on a flat brush and brush out that hair. Loose waves will start to form.
MT TIP: There was lots of frizz back in the ‘20s and ‘30s — which is why I skipped a silicone-based tamer for this style. You don’t want that super-shiny modern look. That slight matte finish brings softness and femininity. I even like to spritz the Dove® Refresh+Care Invigorating Dry Shampoo throughout the hair and brush through again for that nice dry texture.
5. Now for styling. From the part, take your finger from the hairline to the crown and go down to that section over the ear. That’s the section you’re leaving out. Not sure which section of hair I’m referring to? Talk with your stylist and they can absolutely show you!
6. Gather the rest of the hair into a low loose ponytail pulled slightly off to the parted side. Place an R-session tools foam piece on top of the base of the ponytail. Secure with many bobby pins misted with dry shampoo for extra hold and security.
MT TIP: Women back in the day rarely got haircuts, which meant they had tons of hair. This day in age, we have to create that shape with the foam filler.
7. Thoroughly brush-out out the remaining hair (30-40 swipes) to activate the s-pattern. This is when you decide how much hair you want on your face. If you’re wearing an earring, pull it back. Otherwise it looks great pulled over the ears. Secure the loose ends of that section into the roll. Then gather the hair under the ear tuck it into the roll.
MT TIP: I hold my finger at the bottom of the earlobe with my left hand, and with my right hair, take all the hair under the earlobe, give it a little twist, and just tuck that into the roll. Voila!
8. Don’t worry about all the pins showing at the seam of the roll. A comb (like I used on Libby) or any accessory will cover them right up.
Boho Chic, Modern Elegance and Vintage Glamour - all completely different yet fabulously stylish, and thanks to Mark and Dove Hair – they are all completely attainable too. We felt like the luckiest ladies in the land to have him pretty up our locks, so getting to share all the style secrets with you makes us giddy and then some. We hope you took these tips and tucked them away to bring out on any day you need to feel a bit more lovely. We surely did.
And we have one more chance to win all the pretty products used to make Libby’s locks this incredibly lovely. Dove Hair is giving away these exact products Mark created to create the Vintage Glamour style to the first 10 winners who leave a comment! That’s the NEW Dove® Daily Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner, Dove® Style+Care Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse, Dove® Style+Care Strength & Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray, AND Dove® Refresh+Care Invigorating Dry Shampoo. so you can make this look your very own. Leave a little comment on why you love this vintage glam look below to win!
See terms and conditions here.