A little bit ago, we let you in on a fabulous little partnership between Dove Hair, SMP and the ever fabulous Mark Townsend. A partnership that combined product, pretty and pizzazz for all things hair. We kicked off the pretty hair parade with this boho chic look on our talented Jess, and now it’s time to pull a 180 and go all out mod on little ol’ me. And let me be honest, my mane is not the easiest to tame. But with one swoop of Mark’s talented brush and a dollop of Dove Hair product I had a top knot so fierce I would have walked down any red carpet you put in front of me. True story. The absolute best part? I am donning that same do right at this very moment because Mark let me in on all of his tricks of the trade. And now it’s time to share them with you, because whether you’re walking the red carpet or vacuuming your own, everything is better with a top knot…
From Mark Townsend…This is very polished hair that makes a quiet statement. It’s minimal, and there’s sophistication and ease in that simplicity. Usually when I’m thinking modern elegance, it’s about taking a trend — in this case top knots, which are E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E — and making it a little more polished and elevated for a wedding.
The silhouette of the dress Abby chose was very fresh and architectural. The hair needed to reflect that, although I kept it slightly asymmetrical so it wouldn’t feel too perfect. There’s nothing vintage about this look. It’s wholly 2013.
1. Abby lifts her hair to blond, which can lead to a little more damage, so we started with the NEW Dove® Intensive Repair Shampoo & NEW Dove® Intensive Repair Conditioner; it nourishes and strengthens hair to help prevent split ends and leave hair smooth without weighing it down. Lightened, wet hair also tends to be more coarse, so I worked in a few drops of the Dove® Nourishing Oil Care Detangler before blow-drying. The almond and coconut oil soak immediately into the hair shaft and help those lifted cuticles lie down smooth and flat.
2. I blew the hair out with a large, round brush, focusing on smoothness and a little bend.
MARK’S TIP: Don’t blow dry too flat or straight — otherwise strands will be too slippery to put up.
3. Spritz a flat brush with the Dove® Style+Care Strength & Shine Extra Hold Hairspray and rake hair back into a high, tight ponytail. We’re talking literally on top of the head — not on the back — then secure with a bunji elastic. Pulling the hair up ultra-high is what separates this updo from the gym top knot you’d wear any day of the week.
4. Emulsify the Dove® Style+Care Frizz-Free Shine Cream-Serum in your hands and smooth back the fuzz around the hairline, then rake hands through the ponytail. And now we start styling (stay with me here): Take the ponytail in your right hand, lift it up straight. Put your left thumb directly in front of the base of the ponytail and wrap the ponytail around the thumb to create a loop — all while still holding the rest of the ponytail around the base. Then slide your thumb out. See that loop? That gives you a little more volume and really nice smoothness.
5. Tuck in ends with hair pins.
MARK’S TIP: Spray extra-hold hair spray on a reusable mascara wand to slick back baby hairs around the hairline and nape.
It’s honestly easy as 1,2,3. And that mascara wand tip? Life changing. Mark Townsend and Dove Hair make hair magic happen, and now we can all walk around with lovely locks. There is still one more gorgeous look coming your way from this talented team – but you can keep the hair-spiration going by pinning all the hair pretty right here.
Guess what? There is even more fabulous to share, SMPers. Dove Hair is giving away these exact products Mark created to create the Modern Elegance Style to the first 10 winners who leave a comment! That’s the NEW Dove ® Intensive Repair Shampoo, NEW Dove® Intensive Repair Conditioner, Dove® Nourishing Oil Care Detangler, Dove® Style+Care Frizz-Free Shine Cream-Serum, AND Dove® Style+Care Strength & Shine Extra Hold Hairspray so you can make this look your very own. So whip up that top knot and get to typing – just leave a little comment on why you love this oh-so-in look below to win!
See terms and conditions here.