I’ve seen some great kids’ birthday parties in the past (you probably remember this one, and this guy is still ranks as one of my favourites), but using your little ones treasured stuffed toy as party inspiration would never have occurred to me. And it’s for that exact reason that I’m glad that people like Jasalyn Thorne exist. They’re the kind of folk who bleed glitter and gold, who take a simple, adorable idea and turn it into a glorious event fit for the luckiest of little girls. Click right here for so much more!
From Jasalyn… My husband and I are wedding photographers and happen to be attracted to all things modern, so when it came to our daughter’s first birthday party, we opted for a clean approach. Inspired by both her nursery colours (coral & peach), as well as her favourite stuffed toys (a bunny and a bear – which she carries around with her everywhere we go!), we found our theme.
The cake smash was something I wanted to shoot in our signature B+W style. Because it was a fondant cake, it was a little cleaner (however, we somehow still managed to get crumbs everywhere). My very favourite part was when she proceeded to shove ALL of the sugar flowers into her mouth at once.
My favourite party find were the gold polka dot decals. They complete set the stage for the event, were very easy to apply and didn’t ruin any of our walls! The flowers were oasis carnation balls mounted to vases and were such a hit. Abbey’s favourite stuffed toys, her bunny and her bear, were represented on her fabulous birthday cake. Slavita carried the polka dot theme with embossed circles, ribbon-like sugar flowers, daises and of course, fondant bunnies and bears with a white bear topper. Bunny and bear sugar cookies also acted as favors for our guests as they made their way home.
DIY projects include the following:
– Invites/tags: a storybook bunny motif acted as the background for simple but colorful invites and tags
– Favors: chocolate egg towers glued to styrofoam cones using royal icing, with a monogrammed letter for each individual guest
– Drinks: I added gummies to the ice cubes for a splash of color, accented with polka dot straws
– Letter “A” monogram: using an A template from Urban wall as a stencil, I cut it out of foamcore and painted it coral
And last but not least, our fabulous food table included:
– Mini french toast with raspberry jam and maple syrup drizzle, topped with a dusting of icing sugar
– Mini vanilla ice cream crepe cups accented with a slice of strawberry and a mint leaf
– Endive leaves with goat cheese and grape slices
– Mini marshmallow crepes, toasted and topped with chocolate and a dollop of whipped cream
Photography, Event Design, Invitation Design & Food: Jasalyn Thorne Photography | Flowers: Fiorire | Cake: Cadeaux Bakery, Slavita Johnson | Cookie Favors: Aeyra Cakes – Paula Lyons | Wall decals and Monogram template: Urban Wall | Vase and linen rental: Milestone Events | Invitation + Tag Bunny Motif: Kerri Efendi Designs