Getting pretty for a party with the girls is always an event in itself, pop the bubbly, throw on some tunes and get gorgeous! So, when a friend tells me she’s tying the knot, I look forward to all of the stylish soirees leading up to the big day. Whether it’s a sophisticated bridal brunch, al fresco engagement dinner, or sassy bachelorette party, there’s a style for each event. We got together with one of our lovely LBB fashion gurus, Sarah Baucom of Social Dress Shop for a sneak peek into her sweet online boutique and her ideal outfit for a glamorous rehearsal dinner. See the full spread of modern bridal style right here!
SMP: Hi, Sarah! Tell us a bit about yourself. What is Social Dress Shop?
SDS: Social Dress Shop is a curated online boutique specializing in designer party and cocktail dresses. The inspiration for an “all dress” boutique came from my own engagement, as I was constantly on the hunt for a special cocktail dress but did not have time to shop in local boutiques. I turned to online shopping but missed the curated feel of the boutique experience. My lifelong dream of owning a boutique was realized when we launched in November 2012, and have been amazed and humbled at the welcoming response!
SMP: What inspired you to start Social Dress Shop?
SDS: When I was a bride, I remember being extremely stressed out about all of the dresses that I needed for all of my amazing parties, that were graciously thrown by my family and dear friends. That was one of the inspirations for opening Social Dress Shop, I wanted to create a one-stop shop for unique cocktail and party dresses online! No more searching through pages and pages of dresses in big box stores that felt like shopping at a Costco. I wanted to give my customers that boutique curation and customer service, but with the convenience of online shopping. Many of the designers at Social Dress Shop chose to manufacture in the US, and I am really proud of that!
SMP: What sets Social Dress Shop apart from other online boutiques?
SDS: Social Dress Shop has quickly become the one-stop shop for rehearsal dinner, engagement party and party dresses for brides and wedding guests all over the world! Something that really sets us apart from other online retailers are the variety of lines that we carry. Our designers include: Rory Beca, Hunter Dixon, Camilla and Marc, Yumi Kim, 81 Poppies, Leona, by SMITH, and Kirribilla to name a few. We also just launched a “Budget Chic” line that boasts amazing designs at a much lower price point which has been really successful.
SMP: What inspires your style?
SDS: My personal style is constantly evolving, but is always feminine, a little boho and colorful. I am constantly inspired by indie female musicians as well as fashion bloggers, as they are constantly pushing the limits and inviting us all to look a big deeper into our closets and try something new. My eternal style icons are Jenny Lewis, Nicole Richie, Olivia Palermo and Diane Kruger.
SMP: What are your ideal essentials for a Rehearsal Dinner?
SDS: Modern brides are a bit different, right? Not only do we pour over our favorite bridal magazines and blogs, but we research and search and pin and… well you get what I am saying. All of this effort is absolutely worth it, especially after you get your pictures back from the photographer and every detail is featured just as it was the day of the wedding. This is genuinely an incredibly exciting time in your life where every moment is documented, including all of the parties, brunches, and showers. Your Rehearsal Dinner is your time to shine! So why not go all out glam?
1. The most important item here being the perfect dress that will fit just right, such as this Kirribilla Lucy Dress from our Rehearsal Dinner Boutique. I love the idea of wearing a dress with a bit of structure with classic hues and shapes, so that you will be able to keep it and wear it again! These pictures last a lifetime, and you want to look like a match next to your suited hubby to be!
2. Butter London nail lacquer in Fiver, it can be your something blue! I know brides still go for the nude nail or french manicure, but I love the idea of a soft seafoam blue nail next to a white gown! It’s a total modern update. And think about the blue on your tropical honeymoon… so much more fun than a neutral!
3. Statement necklaces are magical and can pull all of the details together. The designer Loren Hope is pretty amazing, her jewels are classic, but also a bit funky.
4. Let your wedding planner or MOH be in charge of the emergency bag with all of your essential beauty products and just carry a small brightly colored clutch. Pack just the essentials: lip color, small roller perfume and phone. Look smart, calm and perfectly prepared.
5. Ah, Kate Spade pumps. Could these candy colored dreams be any sweeter? And again, they don’t scream “bride” with white and bejeweled mess all over them. I love the fit of Kate Spade shoes, they can be an investment, but well worth it. You could absolutely wear these on the big day as well!
The one thing that I did not put on the board but are an absolute MUST for the entire weekend, are shoe inserts. I love the Foot Petals, and swear by them! In fact, maybe you buy a few extra and hand them out to your bridesmaids as well?
So, ladies, get your fashionable booty geared up for your next party and as Social Dress Shop says, “Party Pretty!”. Just for our lovely SMP readers, Social Dress Shop is offering 25% off any full priced item! Simply use promo code SMP25 at checkout. Offer expires April 10th, 2013.