Ah yes, we’ve now arrived at my very favourite portion of any good party: the food! If you’re ever looking for me, chances are I’m lingering by the snack table, and for the most part, I’m usually not alone. I’m a firm believer that the menu can completely make or break an event. Inspired by mouth-watering, flavourful Cuban fare, Ruth & Maya have put together this fantastic round-up of fabulous provisions to sip & snack on as you watch your fav celebs strut their stuff on the red carpet. Check out the recipes below!
6 fresh mint leaves
3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
1 ounce Simple Syrup
1 1/2 ounces rum, preferably 10 Cane
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 ounces Champagne or Prosecco, chilled
1. In a cocktail shaker, muddle together mint, lime juice, and simple syrup to release mint oils.
2. Add rum and bitters; shake over ice.
3. Strain into a cocktail glass or coupe.
4. Top with Champagne.
2 lbs of cooked langoustines, defrosted if frozen and remove tail meat
1 red onion, cut in half and finely sliced lengthwise
12-15 limes, juiced
1-2 serrano peppers or other hot peppers, cut in half
A few sprigs of cilantro + ½ bunch finely chopped
1-2 tbs olive oil
1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
Salt to taste
1. Place the sliced onions in a bowl, add some salt and cover with warm water. Let rest for about 10 minutes, drain and rinse well with cold water.
2. Place the cooked langoustine tails in a glass or plastic bowl; add the lime juice, washed onion slices, hot peppers, cilantro sprigs, garlic clove, and salt. Cover and let marinate for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
3. Remove the hot peppers, the cilantro springs and the garlic clove.
4. Add the cilantro and olive oil to the marinated langoustines and onions, mix well. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
5. Serve with fried plantain chips.
Cuban Bread (Substitutes: French or Italian Bread)
Cooked ham (sliced)
Roasted pork (sliced)
Swiss cheese (sliced)
dill pickles (sliced)
Yellow mustard or Mayonnaise
1. Assemble the sandwich to your liking and enjoy!
Tip: Try warming them in a sandwich press for an authentic experience!
2 pounds ripe green, yellow or plum tomatoes (about 10), ends trimmed and cut into chunks
8 ounces cucumber (1 cucumber), peeled and cut into chunks
3 ounces green bell pepper, seeded and cut in large pieces
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/2 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a blender, combine the chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, garlic, and sherry vinegar. Blend until it forms a thick liquid. Taste for acidity and add more vinegar for balance. Add the olive oil and salt to taste and blend again. Strain the gazpacho into a pitcher and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 30 minutes.
2. While the gazpacho chills, prepare the garnishes. In a small pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the slice of bread fry until golden on both sides. Remove from heat and cut into cubes.
3. Slice the end of each plum tomato. Using a small serrated knife, peel the tomatoes top to bottom with a small sawing motion. Discard the skins, core and seeds. Dice the tomatoes and set aside.
4. To serve, pour the gazpacho into bowls and garnish with croutons, diced tomatoes, chives and a drizzle of olive oil.
Photography: Ruth Eileen Photography / Concept, Styling, Flowers, Table Runner, Favors, Bites & Cocktails: Poppy Love Weddings / Invitations: Pretty Girl Shop / Oscar Ballot Game: Chelsey Emery Design Boutique / Linen: BBJ Linens / Location: Ruth’s Loft / Blond Wood Trough & Pedestal: Pottery Barn / Glassware: Crate & Barrel / Miniature Serveware: Libbey for Bed Bath & Beyond / Galvanized Ice Tray & Bucket: Pottery Barn / Small Opaque White Vases: Anthropologie / Pappagallo Vase: ZGallerie / Patchwork Mosaic Serving Bowl: Anthropologie / Black Louis Ghost Chair: Philippe Starck / Parakeet Pillow: West Elm / Candelabras: CB2 / Starburst Mirror: Crate & Barrel / Floating Wall Vases: West Elm / Hammered Copper Vase: Jamali Garden Supply / Ceramic Pineapple: Poppy Love Weddings Personal Collection / Mercury Votive Holders: Pottery Barn / Gold Cocktail Riming Sugar: Dell Cove Spice Co. / Stripe Paper Straws: Katie Rebecca Events Shop