This inspiration board was designed by one of our readers, Sherri, for her little sister Annie…appropriately titled “Annie’s Delightfully Charming Backyard Bash.”
Color theme: Grass Green and Sunshine Yellow / Invitation: Hanalei by Kenzie Kate / Centerpieces: Featuring several small vases, each with a lush bunch of a single type of flower. The frame would include a photo of Annie’s beloved pug and the table number. (by Nancy Liu Chin Designs, San Francisco) / Bridesmaid dresses: Cotton dresses in grass green by Banana Republic (image from theknot gallery) / Cakes: Playfully designed cakes in the image of the bride and groom. (photo by Rob and Lauren Photography) / Details: photos by various photographers, including Becker, Jessica Claire, Laurence Kim, Henry Chan, and Tony Yang
The best part about this gorgeous wedding board, is that the entire affair can be pulled off even if you are on a really tight budget. Here are some of Sherry’s cost saving tips for this particular wedding…
-No venue fee. The backyard is free!
– Hold the ceremony under some tree branches. No other ceremony decor is needed. As you can see in the center photo, nature is all you need for a beautiful setting.
– Take advantage of the features in your house. Get ready in the room you grew up in. Guests can use the bathrooms in the house (no port-o-potties). Caterers can use the kitchen. Use the patio or deck as the dance floor.
– Buy a knee length white dress off the rack. It’s playful and flirty, and will cost much much less than a designated “wedding dress.”
– The use of color can be a great way to have a visually appealing wedding for less. The burst of yellow in this wedding can be seen in the bouquet ribbon, the groom’s tie, the bridesmaid’s bouquets, and the escort cards. None of these details need to be fancy or expensive, but the sunny yellow color will tie everything together and enhance the photos.
– For the getaway vehicle, ride bikes decorated with yellow ribbon and the signs “Just” and “Married” on the back of the seats. So fun and playful!
– Use flowers that cost less. The centerpieces in the photo actually use carnations, which are cheap but can be beautiful if featured in the right way.
– Save money on alcohol by buying in bulk from stores like Costco. Unused bottles can be returned for a full refund.
– String lights are cheap but serve as both lighting and decor.
If I had a backyard that was this beautiful, I wouldn’t have to think twice about where to host the wedding. Thanks so much, Sherry! This is really beautiful!